EdgeTown - A Race Map for a UDK Game

Looking really cool so far. I think it reminds me of Blade Runner most.

Great work! Its great you’re taking the time to add all the tiny details.

Thank you!! :slight_smile: Yes, it was the normals problem. I can’t believe I didn’t try flipping them before (normally I always do that).

Here’s a little update:

Not sure about the glow, maybe you guys can give some critique on that. I made a second texture with brighter (white) areas, set to overlay. Also increased the emit value some. I think it looks alright.

I’m gonna do the textures for the third vending machine, then get back to modeling the rest of the city (buildings) for a change.

I don’t get much time to blender these days since I have been working 15 hour days 7 days a week, but would you not be able to create a semi transparancy on the front for a single section, like were the logo is at, and than have the light visable to the point where it will light up the texture and still be dark enough to show a clear image.

Looks great to me!
Only perk i have is i am no sure what that stuff on the second one on the left is, near the base of the thing/. There are some orange vertical streaks. It is the only one that has them.

Rallici:Yeah I guess you could make some kind of transparency mask thing, but I’m not too familiar with things like that.

DDD: Thanks. Yeah, I think the streaks come from the post processing (glare node, streaks). The emit value might be higher on the orange one or something, I’ll check it out. Anyway, it’s not part of the texture.

I love what you’ve done with the vending machines. I think you’ve nailed them at this point.

Thank you darkmag07 :slight_smile:
Here’s all of 'em:

I’m not really happy with the last one, but it’ll have to do for the time being. I might come back to it later if it bugs me too much. It’s decent though.
Next I’ll be getting back to modeling the buildings, and maybe some rooftop details.

I realized that I need to put more detail into the vending machines, both textures and modeling. Hopefully I don’t have to redo anything major, but I was looking at a real vending machine today, and realized some things :smiley:

I also started working on some circuit breaker/fuse boxes (I don’t know if the big ones are also called that or not) and some other elecrtical stuff. Also textured some of them. The textured ones are mostly ready, but I’m going to add some more wear and tear (now they just look dirty, maybe a bit rusty) by adding some scratches around the edges and maybe breaking the symmetry a bit (pulling some vertices to make the metal look a little bent).

Well that depends on how you are going to render the final scene. If there will be alot of close ups on the vending machines then yeah add more detail but if they are going to be seen from a distance then dont bother they look good already.

Textures are looking great btw.
Any chance of a step by step tutorial? or a link to one? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not planning any major changes on the vending machines, so it shouldn’t take long. Just a couple of extrusions. I’m not even sure if they’re going to look better or not, so I won’t bother with it too much.

Thanks. Actually, I’m planning on making a tutorial sometime soon, though I’m still learning myself (but they say teaching someone else is the best way to learn :P). It’ll be something pretty small, like modeling and texturing one of these circuit breaker boxes, or a tin can or something.

Here’s an update:

I think these are pretty much the final textures for these.

Wow, the size and the detail in this is amazing! What are your plans for the final? Just stills, or animation, or put into a game? I’d love to see something like following a person (or creature) going throughout the city, whether just walking from one place to another or running and hiding from someone.

wow and double wow, this is some great work. Thanks for the insparation.

Thank you:)

Well, my long-term goal is to get a job in the game industry (still a long way to go though), so this is practice :smiley: I’ve just applied for a 3D animation and visualization program in the university and now I’m waiting to get an invitation for the entrance exams.

I can’t make a game myself, but I’m trying to model this as if it would be a game environment. I’m thinking a lot of stills of course, but also some kind of animation (at least a fly-trough kind of thing).
After the city is finished (a looong time from now), I think I’ll try and model some characters, and if they end up decent, maybe they’ll populate the city :smiley:

A little update:

All the electrical boxes are done. Next I’ll make some pipes and ventilation stuff for the roofs.

Amazing work! :smiley: And your textures look very nice as well. How did u learn to texture so well? Did u teach yourself or find a place with some good tutorials for Photoshop? (which is what im guessing u use;)) Im trying to work on my texturing skills for a FPS im working on ;). Thanks, and again, great job :slight_smile:

What size are the images of your textures?

Thank you! Well, I did a lot of 2D work on Photoshop before I had even heard of Blender, so I have some experience there. I like painting and stuff, so it comes kind of naturally. It wasn’t until very recently that I learned to texture better though.

Most of it is thanks to http://www.cgtextures.com/, of which I also purchased membership a little while ago. I’ve also learned a lot by watching tutorials from Blender Cookie and recently Blender Nerd :wink:

Edit:
CodyWinch: Right now the textures for the little boxes are 512 and the big ones 1024.

Wow Great work, I’ll be Keeping an Eye on this thread.

One Question, How do you get a Clay Render like Yours?

Keep it up
Josh

The one without the wireframes is with this add-on http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Render/Clay_Render