Edson ED-3

Looking really good, can’t wait to see further progress!

Thank you very much NID, well actually I decided to delete that video because youtube compression. Half of details just dissapear, which I did not expect. The original video on my disk looks pretty good though. So I think something like Sketchfab will be better way how to present my textures.

This is absolutely incredible. How? HOW!?!. Iv’e seen some pretty impressive models, but this is just… wow. Im at loss of words here. Super práca, velmi sa mi to páči :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Lukas. Well, I just love polygons, we are best friends ever. This is actually one of my secret ingredients, polygons needs some love for looking best as possible. None add-on or code can do that.

A teraz v našej reči, ešte raz ďakujem pekne, potešili ste ma. :slight_smile:

Time for render, as always not finished. I will gladly show wireframes too, but after I finish modeling on whole device.

HDRI from https://hdrihaven.com/

Attachments

It took me the whole afternoon to read the post. and
Looking at your models actual is a kind of enjoyment for me. incredible details, clean and accurate.

I’m learning blender. and i found hard surface modeling with subdivision modifier is a nightmare to me.
every time I decide to start modeling something, in the end give up halfway.
things like holes etc. always drive me crazy.

hope you can share some tips in this post.

Thank you very much for your time and kind words doniypolo. Yes, I can share some tips for sure. At first, learn about polygons, how they work and act, and play with them. You must know what polygons will do before they do it. Basically, you need to learn correct topology. I believe there is many tutorials, or you can learn on your own (this is my case).

Next, you should definitely learn modifiers like shinkwrap, smooth/corrective smooth, bevel, and subD. With these modifiers you can do just anything.

And then practice, practice very much, weeks, months, years. I know, maybe this sucks, but there is really no other way how to be good in this.

Last thing what cames to my mind is personality. You know, like patience, self control, etc. This is very important too. I guess these abilities can be strengthened, with some excercising.

thanks for your reply.

can’t wait to see more renders!

Thanks again doniypolo.

And here is something new, a receiver, which catching signal from parabola. As always nothing finished.

Attachments

Almost finished antenna, efectiveness of parabola is cca 90% (on paper), which is not bad, for receiver of 30mm diameter.

By “receiver” I mean only that concact surface, not whole device. Oh and I also changed that square shaped receiver to circular shape.

Attachments

Still looking amazing

Thanks a lot NID, glad you like it.

Happy new year to everyone! I hope this year will be damn productive for me and this project. So let’s start with this two new renders. More less finished receiver and unfinished antenna holder. Hope you like it.

Attachments

I went from 6 to midnight looking at the details on this thing. It is truly amazing and from one detail junkie to another hats off to you. I agree with what others have said regarding poly counts but that aside your work is a thing of beauty. Forgive me if this has been asked already or for it being a noobish question but are you using SubD modifiers on all these pieces or are they poly modelled (if thats the term). I would love to see a video of you modelling some of the intricate connectors, those are really impressive.

Thank you very much Beebeedubyu for your time and nice words. There is no need to apologise for questions, this project is pretty big, I can totally understand that.

The subdivision surface modifier is used only on helicopter, and objects that is binded with helicopter, included exterior and interior. Everything else is tagged as environment, including these shacks. And whole idea about environment is, that it should be midpoly, without any active modifiers. And it really is a midpoly, but it seems I have a different view about what midpoly is. :slight_smile: But my computer looks satisfied, so am I.

Anyway, on shacks + human made objects related to shacks, I only using modifiers like bevel (in some special cases SubD too), shinkwrap and smooth/corrective smooth while modelling, they are really handy in production. But mostly it is a manual modelling, and when I finish some object, there is just pure mesh with no modifiers.

Well, I plan to make a video about finished and rigged antenna, how it move. I will think about video of my modelling too.

Thanks, that’s enlightening. i used to love modelling guns and machinery but I got into a bad habit of when to use subD and when not to. I am only just realizing that when working on straight lines there really is no need to subD everything, just ads unnecessary topology and complicates the modelling process.

I love how you have thought about the movement of these parts and how they work together. It takes good looking work to another level for me when the design itself could at least move how it is intended to. It increases development time but I always respect CG work much more when the form is built around the subjects intended purpose. Doesn’t always need to be physically possible of course but the forms do at least need to be believable to suspend disbelief long enough for the work to be appreciated.

I agree, well said, thanks again.

New test animation of antenna holder. Yes, I know it looks like it wouldn’t work, but it will, trust me.

Just click on the image and you will be redirected to site with a gif.

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/Antena---Test.md.gif

Improved and let’s say final worm and shifter.

Attachments

Finished antenna holder. Now I need to do only some cables, some rigging, and whole device will be finished.

Attachments