Eevee/Workbench development updates

Yes, it’s from OTOY and it’s been around for nearly 10 years. It’s only now with the new RTX cards that it has become possible to achieve the noise-free 30-60 fps path tracing.

Experimental version was first released/bundled 2 years ago with Octane 4.0

1 Like

Ah, that makes more sense with hearing a Metal Brigade release later this year. AMD needs to release cards with RT cores, which is rumored for later this year.

1 Like

I think Otoy have a bit of a reputation of promising a lot of things and having deadlines that slips.

I hope it is not the case with Brigade this time. But looking at the GTC 2020 video, it is very limited the way Brigade is being demoed. Compare that to how E-Cycles is being presented in this video for instance.

If Brigade is this super solution for the viewport, why aren’t they giving more complex demo examples ?

1 Like

Complex in what way? It’s hard to tell how many polygons are in the Brigade demo, they could be millions of polys. They are also doing different surface types, with GI, caustic and a work in progress DOF, also instancing is supported. I’ve been following Brigade before it was bought by OTOY, it can definitely huge datasets.

I just wish EEVEE would finally get the Workbench’s cavity overlays.

Should be possible to color those cavities; one color for convex and one for concave. Sometimes I’d like to use a single color for both of them for a simple outline/NPR output.

The great thing about the cavity overlay is that it doesn’t need high-res geometry to work (as opposed to the pointiness shader). It would be totally awesome as an actual shader node, but even as an overlay it would be a good way to fake small bevels.

I really don’t understand why it isn’t in EEVEE.

1 Like

Rip Eevee?

1 Like

Only if Eevee development ends up going stagnant (to note, Eevee has not seen a lot of dev. work recently other than bugfixes, due to all of the work on fixing bugs and other issues in the drawing code in general.

More likely, Cycles will end up supplanting Eevee due to RTX and friends making full raytracing just as fast and just as interactive as Eevee’s scanline tech (to the point where you can just model and assemble scenes in Cycles’ rendered view). Cycles RTX already makes the early demos with the GTX 580 card look painfully slow.

2 Likes

Unreal is quite slow to open and compile shaders, yeah, it may hsave some extra features, but blender is much simpler to open and try some things, some people still use marmoset for things that are not baking normals when there’s eevee or sketchfab.

3 Likes

Impressive demo, but I believe it when I see it once some actual games have been made using all this new tech on the next gen consoles and PC. Hopefully Blender and other engines will be able to benefit from this new tech in the near future for rendering and general performance. The way Unreal seems to handle geometry seems pretty revolutionary for real time graphics.

1 Like

Yeah, the shader compilation issues can be awful if you have a lot of dependencies between materials and parameters. The material graph is lovely (compared to using the blender one it’s a dream), but when you change stuff and have to wait several seconds or even minutes to see what changed you just give up wanting to do anything with materials. At least materials update almost instantly in Blender :smiley:

Hopefully some of their Fortnite money is going to improving the UI and optimising things like shader compilation and not just fancy new rendering tech.

The audio tech is also quite interesting. Looking forward to finding out more about this, as audio always plays second fiddle to graphics.

1 Like

Well Eevee is not a game engine though, & it, being a renderer inside a DCC is a plus anyway. the thing is this demo running on a PS5 with dynamic realtime GI & no raytracing so it would be nice to have both in eevee one day but i am wondering if Epic is leveraging vulkan for pc to do this “billions of polygons” as they say.

In Unreal shader compilation can be avoid most of the time. Once base master materials are created all you need to use are instance materials which have instant update.

I have done few ArchViz projects with ray tracing GI, reflection and shadows. No need to do any baking, irradiance probes, or screen space reflections.

Here an example of this workflow in this free unreal ray tracing project:

1 Like

Maybe that works for an archviz project, where you probably just want realistic materials, but when you are doing a game project with a non-photorealistic art style and a team fairly new to unreal there can be a lot of changes to the main materials. It’s not that uncommon that 20,000+ shaders need to be compiled after a single material function is changed, even though we are only targeting a couple of platforms. The compilation can be shared if you use the shared content cache, but we’ve all been working out of office recently, which means everyone needs to compile shaders on their own machines. If you’ve got a lot of cores, it can be OK, but it can sometimes take half an hour to get everything compiled and up to date.

There’s definitely an element of we’re doing it wrong, so subsequent projects might see us avoiding these kinds of issues, but it is quite easy to cause a lot of shaders to recompile, which is annoying.

1 Like

I think Cycles is the one that should be nervously looking over its shoulder considering some of the stuff the pulled off with the Mandalorien and Unreal engine.

all these “millions and millions of triangles” , in the end, are the opensubdiv libraries + the nvidia turing technology (* or hardware of similar capacity) + some algorithms for procedural creation of the complexity of the textures unless the camera approaches the details.

Turns out Clement is back on Eevee for now, but not for adding new features.
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/tmp-eevee-material-refactor/;5ce4ce2e50d892d57454b0d109d277db87aee862

His current project is refactoring large chunks of Eevee’s material code (which could only lead to the engine being more robust and high quality in general considering how these usually go).

4 Likes

Fantastic news. Last night I was using EEVEE, and turned on the debug mode WHILE RENDERING to see it perform on render. It didn’t move at all, which means stats are either outdated or not reading the right parameters (disconnected). This was introduced way back in 2.80 so I guess sometime in the present this will work again? Possibly?

Eevee Object Motion Blur Initial Implementation:

Related: Add accumulation motion blur for better precision
https://developer.blender.org/D8079

Remember that this is the first implementation, crashes and malfunctions are expected. This will be in buildbot builds from this night.

Thanks devs!

17 Likes