electrical system in UK

beginning to work on how 120 V low voltage electrical system works in the UK
always wanted to better understand it
so i began doing some models oom 3D

so here is a fuse plug
still wondering how the fuse are made
have to find better pics of this set up

C & C welcomes

happy cycles

In the modern UK plug the live wire is brown (connects at the fuse pin), the neutral wire is blue and the earth is a green/yellow stripe. Inside the fuse is a simple wire that breaks if the current is too high. There are various fuses depending on the appliance it is to be used with (eg 3 amp, 5 amp, 13 amp). Also note that for most modern appliances the plug is usually sealed, with an external access to the fuse.


UK uses 240v. on some modern appliances you will also find that the Earth pin is just plastic as the appliance is earthed internally. (most still use the brass pin even though there is no earth wire in the cable)

ok preparing the cycles version for it
i’ll change the wire color

still learning this electrical system in UK which is very interesting
cause we don’t have these here

[earthing](file://\earthing) but if ground wire is not in cable where is it ?

thanks for feedback

the earthing is done withing the appliance just as with U.S. two pin plug systems, nowadays it is kind of just an almost redundant pin but we still do have some appliances that require the use if the earth pin but they are getting rarer.

When an appliance doesn’t have an earth it should have this symbol,


(I didn’t realise it had a circle around it, don’t think it used to, was just a box within a box)

Basically its internally isolated. The internal chassis doesn’t electrically connect to the outer shell of the unit. The earth is connected to the chassis.

And yes, UK domestic is 240v AC

well in North Amerian cpntinent all modern outlets are with 3 pins one being the ground and it is a code requirement
some portable elc equipment (like drill saw ect) ) with double insulation are with 2 pins
so you saying that in england most elec equipment like PC TV ktchen appliances are all isolated and use 2 pins plug!


well to be fair i could be wrong, and earthed plugs are more common than i think. but a large proportion of plugs that i have replaced or had to open to change the fuse have not been earth connected. i have to admit to not having opened my cooker plug but certainly my tv is double insulated.
but none of this alters the actual model you have made as earthed or not they use the same plug :slight_smile:

i always thuoght America used only 2 pin sockets

tried to find pic for these plug with fuse accessible from outside the plug but no luck
anyone has seen a good pic of this model of plug
i would like to make a 3D model for this


The placement does vary but some examples here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bs1363&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Urt&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ryEJUemBOsWM4ASkhIGoBg&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1209&bih=328#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=iZE&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=bs1363+plug&oq=bs1363+plug&gs_l=img.3…0j0i10i24j0i24l2.15555.16784.0.18095.…0.0…1c.1.lEK2M1d9R28&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.d2k&fp=42468ef713264d40&biw=1209&bih=328

seen these wiki pages for these plugs

first site is for the old UK plug standard BS-546
dont’ know if still use a lot?
other one is the new standard BS-1362
i’v seen pics with fuse inside the plug which i’v already model
in first post

but did not see any pic showing how fuse can be inserted from outside the plug itself!


These are a couple I had lying around


ok so for the fuse cover it is sort of a snapping plastic cover that you push in or out to access the fuse inside the molded plug!
there are no screws involved very simple and quick access i guess

i can see a plug with a plastic pin so these are use only for double insulated elec equipment!

we definitively don’t have these type of plugs around here !


here is something to shock you
some differences between UK and North American elec system

happy blendering

here is a north American TEFC electric motor for industrial use
have to port it to cycles when i have time


Thing is, i’ve not heard the usage of “tension” in place of “voltage”… couple of others are very interchangeable too… but “hot”? I may now use “ow” instead of “live”…

ow ?
do you mean hot ?

did i do a mistake in some words ?
there might be others it’s sort of a short summary
i might add one for the spur box which is a junction box on a ring circuit!


No mistake, I was just musing on where the word hot came from, i.e. an electrical burn, then I thought “ow” was more universal, even toddlers would understand.

We use the term “spur”, but yes you’d require a junction box connect it to a circuit. I wouldn’t say it was exclusive to a ring circuit either.

hot is an expression for live wire meaning under tension or voltage which carry the current
agreed this is probably coming from slang more then an official expression
but this is how it is cannot change it !

never heard “tension” use in place of voltage either. maybe its and industry term? who knows.
is interesting, the difference in terminology just for something as simple as an electrical system!