Empire State Building

Well I am trying to do a realistic-ish Kong, I need to watch some tutorial on hands, will make an update today! And well you can decide, but I would prefer something a bit more realistic, the models and the scenes are looking good, we can plan it out really nicely!

That’s my first choice also. Shall we dance, then? :smiley:

Sure!!! Here is my first work in progress so far, I know I’m still missing some geometry and details but i wanted to give a nice topology first (at least less horrible than my previous attempts)

Hope you like how its going, will post more progress in a few hours!!!

Why not sculpt and then retopologize afterwards?

I’m trying to do a base mesh and then sculpt, just trying something new to learn a bit more about modelling

Edit:
More progress, will start sculpting tomorrow

Looking really good so far, Deadway!

@ Deadway: Before getting too far into sculpting, make sure you have plenty of gorilla and/or Kong movie references for proportions, which are critical in any character work. Or, and this is just as viable, take a look at the original Kong puppet – by today’s standards, crude and a little humorous, but still worthy of respect as a source for inspiration.

You mean crude and a little humorous, like this?

Ayup! Perfeck 'xample.

I will take a look at many reference pictures, I still need to fix some geometry and a bit on the back of the gorilla, also need to add the legs fingers (really basic) today I will post some more progress on the beginning of the sculpting part

A first shot at Ann Darrow.

Ms. Wray was the principle inspiration and ref
but rather than a flat out portrait I decided to reserve some options for a new persona.

Even quadrupling my samples count (to 1024) would not eliminate the stubborn backlighting noise, but it’s tolerable for an initial render. I’ll be dressing her in more than pearls next, probably a white strapless gown, white stilettos, and perhaps with a white fox fur stole (and therein lies a story!)

Wow, chipmasque… that’s incredibly good!

Thanks, AF. I’m in the middle of costuming her now, darn cloth sim is being cranky. Oh, well.

wow thats very good!!! keep it up bro

Thanks, Deadway. I have made a little progress:

The gown is not completely finished, neither in detailing nor material, but I wanted to put it out there for comment. The central portrait shows some edits to the hair system that will make it more suitable for any camera angle, and is also an experiment in hdr lighting. To be honest I’m not all that fond of the result, and the gown material doesn’t work well in the hdr setup because it’s so high key, but it’s worth looking at different lighting arrangements. The hair, now, really looks grand in that light. Maybe a combination of hdr + mesh lights?

Wow!

…!!!

I decided to try making/baking my own window textures for the ESB, so I’m experimenting a little bit. I want to get something that looks 3D and at least semi-photo-realistic, but at this point I’m not sure what to do. I’ve set up a series of rooms with windows and added a few props to make each window setting a little different (I’ll add more later). I’ll use these for experimenting with various lighting and texturing possibilities.

This is what I have so far… Not very good yet…

I think I’ll need to use Cycles for ths.

That’s what I’ve been using for Ann, so we’re on the same track there. Cool idea baking in some extra detail for the windows, hopefully we can get CUs of the building climb.

What are CUs?

Close Ups. I will inundating you with movie-speak, so beware! :wink: