Export Paper Model

hi, will you be updating the addon in Blender repo for 2.8?

I just updated blender-addons now. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, in my github repository I set the blender28 version as the default since Blender may be released while Iā€™m on vacation.

1 Like

Hi,

ā€œ3D printingā€ for the masses :slight_smile: Seriously, this makes 3d modelling unprecedentedly accessible and tangible to newbies.

[question about old blender version deleted]
Never mind, it was simpler to upgrade Blender.

Hi,

although I agree itā€™s better to upgrade Blender (the new versions are cool), the blender-279 branch is supposed to work with any version >= 2.73. If thereā€™s a problem, Iā€™d actually like to fix it.
Anyway, happy modeling!

Hello. Tell me if it is possible to change the distance between the strokes in the lines. When printing on paper it is very difficult to distinguish dashed and dash-dotted lines.

The distance changes with line width. You can also switch dash-dotted to dotted, which should be easier to distinguish.

Technically, thereā€™s no problem in creating any kind of stroke. I just dislike having too many customization widgets.

tell me please in the code where this parameter

Itā€™s dl and format_style, line 1283 for SVG and 1608 for PDF. You can change the default lenghts from 2, 5, 10 to larger values, or you can redefine the switching pattern. Each of them is listed simply as length of a dash, length of a space, and so on.

If you want to create a completely new pattern, youā€™d have to add it to line_styles on line 1889.

Thank you very much

Hello! Can I change the name of the island ā€œIā€ to another default letter?

Mmm, no. The ā€œIā€ is quite useless, right? Maybe the islands with default names should be listed just with their number in brackets, as a special case.

You canā€™t change the default because itā€™s simply generated from the name. Island 3 abbreviates to I3. If you rename it to The Heaviest Component, it will abbreviate as THC.

I would just like to replace ā€œIā€ with something else, for example P (Part), just ā€œIā€ looks like I15ā€¦I5ā€¦I16ā€¦116. it is not very convenient with a large number of parts.

as I understand it, the ā€œislandā€ is declared inside Blender?

No, ā€œIslandā€ is defined on lines 2392 and 2394 in function island_item_changed.

I keep referring to those things as ā€œislandsā€ but ā€œpartā€ sounds equally valid and a bit shorter.

Thank you for the answer

Completely new to Blender 2.8(and this site) and you have created exactly what iā€™m looking for! First off, iā€™m on a mac and donā€™t know if itā€™s just a mac issue or operator issue.
Iā€™m extruding a simple cube on Z, adding a subdivision modifier, hitting ā€œApplyā€ then marking a seam. Then doing ā€œFileā€ Export Paper Model.
Attaching a link of 2 tests triedā€¦one where i donā€™t triangulate and one where I do. Iā€™m not sure what iā€™m missing and why it wonā€™t export.

Thank you in advance and really appreciate what youā€™ve put into this.

The first screenshot is an actual bug in the script. The other is just an error message, and if you triangulated the mesh you did right.
The error disappears if you switch to Object Mode (Tab key).

I submitted it to myself as a bug and Iā€™ll solve it before Blender 2.81.

Thank you for the response and such quick turn around on the solution! It worked. Time for a bit more exploration.

Quick question about 2.8: how do I find the addon now? I have checked it is activated in preferences/addons (was actually preinstalled already) but I cannot find the UI to unwrap and export anymore in the new UI design. I am in edit mode, have the edges marked as seam and now donā€™t now how to continue.

UPDATE: I have found the export now in File/Export/Paper Model

Is the unwrap step gone now? The generated file looks OK but I tested it with a simple box.

In either edit or object mode it is under Vertex Groups, that is where you find the unfold and Islandsā€¦ To get to all other options you have to select export as paper, and it is there you change all the settingsā€¦