Extrude along a path

In 2.58.1, I would like to do something I used to do in TrueSpace. It was possible there to extrude one curve along the path of another curve. So, for instance, one enclosed curve might describe the profile of a molding and it could be extruded along another open curve to create the top of an arched window, etc.

In Blender, I have found the curve panel, and I can name the curves (“profile” - “path”) and I can extrude the profile, but I haven’t found a way to make the extrusion follow the path to produce a curved extrusion.

Thanks for any clues.

it’s called bevel curve in blender!

just add a profile curve let say object name = c2 which would be like your molding shape
then add a curve which is the path to follow and on this one in the panel add C2 as the bevel curve
see wiki page for other parameters description

upi can also make it 3D to follow a 3D path in space!

happy 2.5

Thanks, RickyBlender,

That was the answer. I had been fooling with the bevel curve, but applying it to the wrong path. I had it backwards. Thanks again.

I think in the original docs for ‘bev ob’ it actually has it backwards. I remember doing it over and over wondering why I kept getting a bird-bath instead of a hose.

I really wish you could use multiple profiles on one curve so that the profile would blend into the other. can this be done?.

no cannot but yo can a second curve use as a taper curve!

there is a script for lofting bezier curves!
and soo will have the new nurbs tools

happy 2.5