EZ Baker

I separated them like this because each one needs their own settings and it’s easier to separate how each map behaves in the code by specifying to which bake method it corresponds to.The process of baking with handplane and blender is very different :confused: You would have to create 2 bakers, setup one to bake with blender, and the other one with handplane. Right now it’s too much work to change how this works…

What could be done is to show all the maps generated with all the bakers in the outputs. Instead of only the selected baker. But I don’t know if that’s too confusing.

I haven’t used those extra AO features that handplane offers, if you have used those features and you miss them here It would be easier for me if you explained it for me a little bit and told me where you would add the option in the panels. If you have a gitlab account you can create an issue in my project, that would be easier for me as I can track all the things I want to do there.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks! I guess I was hoping it would be an automated system of setting up the bevel shader and then doing the render. :slight_smile: Maybe something to consider if you run out of other ideas to implement. :wink:

Hi
Is it possible to bake a UV Snapshot ?

Which versions does it work with? Thanks

Not right now, but I’ll add it to my to-do list.

It works with 2.82 and up

1 Like

For that you could just save a material with the bevel shader and use it in your projects. Automating it might just add one bevel size to all your object. In a real world scenario you want fine control to set up each objects bevel size as you want. I use Object ID to apply different bevel sizes to different objects using only one material

2 Likes

Thanks for that detailed reply! I’ll try that then instead of muddying up this add-on with that feature request. :slight_smile:

This sounds exactly what I’m looking for. Being able to achieve multiple bevel widths using the same material? Would you be so kind as to show the setup for that?

1 Like

I’ll show that tomorrow morning

2 Likes

I am having trouble setting up bake groups.

I have a collection of objects currently using an OSL bevel shader that I want to bake into textures. In case it changes anything, I should point out some of these objects are using more than 1 material (they’re different Bevel shader materials, with different width values). If I understand this plugin correctly…

A-I need to have at least one bake group to be able to bake things.
B-Bake groups are created by searching the scene for objects/collections that match the naming patterns in the settings panel.

Selecting all the objects I want to bake and hitting the button to “Create all possible bake groups” returns an error. I renamed all the objects to “something.123_low”. The collection containing these is called “MagRound_low”. The traceback error says “‘Collection’ object is not iterable.” This problem occurs even if I have selected only one object, with 1 bevel shader material.

Do you know what it is I am doing wrong?

Try to remove the _low suffixes from all collections. Does it work?

1 Like

Yes, it does work. So I guess I shouldn’t name collections using the naming conventions from the settings panel. If this is true, I think this could have been worded better somewhere. I don’t see how collections add to anything then when using EZ baker.

Also, to you in particular mrgesy, regarding the bevel shader setup, Is it the same one you talk about in your 80.lv article involving a second UV channel? AFAIK the faster way for the particular objects I’m making, applying a set of different materials seems to be faster for the moment, but if there are any other methods, I’d be eager to know so as to be better.

We’ll report this bug to @AquaticNightmare . I had the same issues too but forgot to report it.

The bevel shader I set up doesn’t need a second UV channel, but it does need predefined bevel sizes for your objects using the Object ID. Here’s how it looks.

Basically 0 index has the biggest size. 1 has the middle size. 2 has the smallest bevel.

1 Like

Genius method Gesy, thanks for sharing. Personally I wasn’t fond of tinkering with UVs for this, though perhaps it’s because I didn’t automate enough steps. One limitation of this new approach is that you cannot apply multiple widths inside a single mesh, correct?

I don’t know any other easier way of doing that except using Vertex Color for that. You can make a script that creates a vertex color group “Bevel” and use 0-255 in red channel to map your bevel widths. Either that or 2nd UV channel.

Well, selecting faces and applying a different material seems to be working well enough for for now. But if I need to apply uniform widths to entire objects, I think your approach is definetly the fastest one I’ve seen yet.

EDIT: Wait a moment haha. I just tried baking and the results reveal the flaw in my thinking above. So if I apply multiple materials to 1 mesh, this will result in multiple bakes. @AquaticNightmare perhaps a solution could be arranged for this?

Actually there’s a way to it using vertex colors using a script. This addon allows you to do it.

For the OSL bevel node you might have to edit the shader group this addon creates though.

@Justo I apparently broke the bake group creation from collections at some point :thinking: I’ve fixed it on my end, and I’ll upload soon.

About the multiple material aproach, it works like this by default in blender. If you have different low materials, it should be baking separately to each one, because maybe each material uses their own uvs for example. I don’t think there is any way to tell blender to bake all materials to the same texture. The only solution for this with the multiple-material-setup would be to duplicate the objects, and set one as high, and the other, as low. But that’s too convoluted. I think mrgesy’s solution is the cleanest one.

edit: done, you can download the new version from the releases page

1 Like

Made a quick video tutorial on how to bake using this awesome Addon if anyone’s interested

8 Likes