Face Rigging Tutorial Recommendations?

No, not for the face but i made a test some time ago, using 2 armatures working togethersplineIK_spine_test.blend. But thats just a control Armature driving a deform Armature.

Maybe not so convenient, but you could write simple python selection scripts for that.

I’m not sure i get your right here but are you aware of these two options?arm

Not a big fan of corretive shapes and try to avoid them where ever i can. But i have done it and experienced no problems with deformations AFTER shape keys.

Just lock the vertex groups that you dont want to be normalized. In addition you have the option to normalize only deform bones
arm2

There is a nifty tool that i use for that.

And there are a lot of tools i miss from Max when i worked with Maya. Bottomline is, every package has its own way of doing things. Admitted, Blender is far from perfect for Rigging and Animation purposes. Just leave your Maya conecpts in doing things behind and get into the wonderful rigging tools of Blender ( certainly helped me).

There is the Animation2020 poject that got posponed to 2021. The thing is that Blender is implementing the ‘Everything Nodes’ concept so in the future rigging will be done with nodes.

2 Likes