Faster rendering using Cycles Adaptive Sampling (with tips)

Kinda. The new sample count pass will show something similar. It’s not the exact same thing, Cycles’ pass sets a pixel between 0-1 depending on how close to max samples it got. (brighter areas have more samples)

This pass is just transparent in my Version.

so we have this moving cube with motion blur ( nvidia 1080 win10 32ram)

Made a reference render with 1024 samples,
and others renders with
min 0
max 1024
i just changed the threshold

if you swap between 0.001 and 0.0001 you’ll notice there’s absoluty no difference between them

here’s the sample count pass

we can see in the 0.0001 that the motion blur part had a maximum samples of 1024, so i’m wondering why the version without AS has less noise …

the file AS_test.blend (610.3 KB)

EDIT : never mind, the version without AS is cleaner because it’s using Sabol and not CMJ

I have issues with Adaptive sampling in the latest 2.83 daily build. As soon as the tile is done rendering, it destroys it by shifting its brightness and adding very coarse grain.

Left: Tile that is currently rendering, Right: Tile that finished rendering.

It happens with CPU (Ryzen 9 3900X) and / or GPU (Titan XP) with CUDA (driver 445.75).
Does anyone have the same issue?

1 Like

Hi, there was a wrong commit yesterday and exactly this version was used to build the daily build. It was fixed a few minutes later.
You have to wait for the next build, I fear.

https://developer.blender.org/rB10f0e003a95a9d28be162605d7985c4d4620f6c0

https://developer.blender.org/rBe05552f7c4ac27faa510048e8c010e4323acb569

Cheers, mib

Ok, thanks. I had a feeling something was temporarily quite off. First times I was like, what the actual F just happened? :smiley:

You are correct! Turns out there is a new build today and it’s fixed there. I was still using the one from yesterday.

Awesome community and support as always, thanks mib.

I noticed that the Denoising Albedo pass is broken with Adaptive Sampling, which makes the denoiser unusable.

EDIT: it may not be related to the Adaptive Sampling, I need to test other builds…

Hard to imagine what those dots are without looking at scene and no .blend provided.
This is waht I get in 2.83 2020-04-06 21:21 Linux - Denoise Albedo and Debug Sample Count:

Samples 1000, Min Samples 10, Noise Threshold 0.05.
(And no, it’s not a real scene :D).

Brecht has been fixing bug about AS+AOV