final fantasy/DOThack MMO

Character modelling is the thing I am best in. But I haven’t played Final Fantasy so I don’t know how the models should look like.

First of all we need to decide if we are going to make our playable characters look like final fantasy or DOThack. We could also come up with our own style combining the two.

robin: I’ll send you some pics that you can make reference to.

Hey, I’m one of the modelers with BGP, and justin has pulled me off of the fps we were working on to help assist with the production of the MMO. I will begin posting on here at a regular basis, and hope to coordinate my efforts with you all accordingly! Thanks for all your efforts, and heres lookin forward to a kickass game!

Okay, here’s some things so far

-people currently working on project: justin, lp_developer, robin, Aeromir and contributions by lirmont.

-basic web page will be up next week.

-I got some other guys from my team besides Aeromir to work on this, so they should be posting on here soon.

-root towns: Mac Anu, Dun Loriea(not sure on spelling), Carmina Gadelica, Fort Ouph, Juno, Luca, Esthar, Midgar, and Treno.
-Juno will be the main city, just like it is in every other final fantasy

-the combat will most likely be real time, just like .hack

-We’'ll be adding the crimson knights along with the knights of terror, and the chaos knights.

-We have a few finished models and several works in progress.

-we are still looking for animators and, of course, more modelers. If there is anyone interested in contributing to the project please post a reply saying you are interested and let us know what you can help with.

I will begin modeling the weapons soon, but as we are modeling them after the DOThack weapon set, I have been unable to find a web site with a large amount of reference pictures. If anyone can find a good site or two, please post them… otherwise ill begin making my own weapons from scratch.

I haven’t found any site with a section for the weapons either but if you search for".hack/SIGN" you get plenty of results.

Sorry, I would like to know more about Kaneva engine.

Have you to pay for use/test that engine? I visisted the site and the 3D engine page, but they do not give this informations if I do not register.
Also I did not understand if there is any obbligation when I register.

Furthermore, there is anything viewable about your project at the moment?
I really would like to see something.

Thanks and Good Luck!

Ok, Justin just alert me when the site is up…Ill help by doing the networking of it…when you ask me of course…I have ms visual studio 2003…

I’ve done a model of Tsukasas (I think) staff. But I have no where to host it. I’ve done it very low-poly about 300 tris. How many tris should I have as most? I’m in the Blender monthly challenge now so I don’t have time to do great models so they will become pretty bad. Sorry.

hmmm…i dunno considering its real time…also if we use kaneva we dont have to worry about lag as much as if we were to create a mmo game on blender…300 is good…but if theres a place where you see you are wasting them, then be my guest…otherwise I think 300 is good

lp_developer: sorry, I haven’t been working on the web page much recently. I’ve been really buissy modeling lately. I’ll pick it back up this week. It is, once again, going to be very basic (unless someone else wants to do it) I said I’ll have it up this week and I’m going to keep my word. It’d be nice if you could set up a network for it if you wanted to.

robin: I’m glad you brought up poly count. 2,000 is a good low with 4,000 being the high per unit. I know this may sound kind of extreme, but I got some input from a guy at the ready at dawn studios. This is a good range, but the lower we go the better. Just keep this range in mind when you model characters.

Aeromir: We should also include some good old final fantasy weapons. I’m sure those’ll be easy for ya.

ender.saka: There is no obligation to registering on kaneva if you are wanting to find out more about it. As for the project. I’m sorry, but we don’t have anyway to show off our stuff until we get the site up. Don’t worry, the link to the site will be posted here the day it is up.

Now to update on what I’ve been working on. I am getting closer to finishing the chocobo. Right now it kinda looks like a velociraptor without arms (kinda funny) It’ll look like a chocobo once the feathers are added and it’s textured. The moogle is closer to being done than the chocobo. It’s probably the easiest thing I’ve ever modeled.

Does anyone consider themselves realy good at texturing?

I want to start working on the actual world before we do anything else. Finish everything you’re working on right now for this project and then lets start creating the world. I still want robin to make a character or two, so we can test the world as we get things done.

lp_developer: I have some really good main story/quest ideas. I’ll send you a pm later when I get more time. If you like the ideas we’ll see what everyone else thinks.

I don’t think I am going to finnish my project for the Blender Monthly challenge now I have lots of stuff to add. But I think I am going to do some characters yet. What kind of characters do you want? Right now I am doing a Aztec Jaguar Warrior for my project but if you want I can send it to you when I am done. He’s going to look something like this (probably without the weird weapons)

Mine ain’t going to be a lowpoly model but it ain’t hard to lower the poly count with the decimator.

About the poly count. Do dawn studio use kanava? Cause it sounds like you just asked a modeler on a company that may not work with Kaneva. I think it’s the Quake or maybe it’s Half-life engine that most of the game companies use and that is very powerful and Kanava might not be that powerful.

Thank you! I will monitor this thread to get news. :wink:

robin: I’m sure we could use your jaguar warrior for something, an enemy maybe. The guy I asked wasn’t a modeler. He is a game play programer and I made sure he was aware that we weren’t using the best technology. I believe he said that unreal 3 uses 10,000. So 4,000 isn’t really quite a big number in comparison. 2,000 to 4,000 is just the range I’m wanting you to keep in mind. If it is possible to make a very good quality model with under 1,000 polys then thats what we should shoot for, but don’t be affraid to go over. However, weopons, of course, will have to be much lower in poly count. Like the staff you made, 300 is a very good number.

ender.saka: Your welcome. I hope you find interest in our project. :smiley:

Justin: Contact me if you need help in the site design. PM me with admin login to do edits. also, I need more info on the types / amounts of weapons you need designed… kinda pointless to just randomly create weapons with no direction.

Also, Robin… if you need any assistance with any of your weapon/tool projects feel free to message me. Im happy to help! :smiley:

Damn I redone my model so it would be a little bit better and it’s pretty highpoly (about 800 polys) it’s probably a bit too much for a weapon I guess. You can find it here.

This looks an interesting project. But I guess I can’t help because I’m kinda new to blender. But I tried to make a buster sword (Clouds first wepon) which can be found here http://z13.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=34919. You can use it if you want.

robin: yea, 800 is probably a bit steep. It does look good though.

Lost number: Sorry man, we’ve already got a buster sword… http://darkabstraction.com/showOff/ffr/weapons/swords/busterSword/busterSword_wip-020.png … Thanks anyway. If there is anything else you want to do just let me know. :smiley:

Considerd giving us an ID and pass?