[Finished] WIP - Blender 2.77 - Vegetable race (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

This is coming out so nicely, and deliciously, I love it!

1 Like

Thank you! :smile:

1 Like

haha I’m glad you like it! :laughing:

1 Like

well… yesterday I didn’t upload anything here so today I have a lot to write.

progress:

:one: I added more details to the car:

mouth:

rear propeller:

:two: I redesigned the small console that appears in the original splash

:three: Since I already had almost all the model finished, I decided to start with the next stage. create textures and materials.
As I am quite a newbie, I don’t have much knowledge about this topic. So I had to watch quite a few tutorial videos on how nodes work in the shader editor.

My idea was clear, I wanted the fruits and vegetables to look as close as possible to the original splash style (that is, I aimed for colorful and not so realistic textures).
as well.
I spent 7 hours testing with the nodes. (I repeat: 7 HOURS)

Until I finally found the ideal node that solved almost all my problems:

:raised_hands: DIFUSSE BSDF :raised_hands:

Basically this node gave the objects that style that I wanted:

After that everything was much easier and I just had to modify the color values ​​of the node for the different objects. Here are some screenshots I made.

Now I am in the task of understanding sketchfab more thoroughly. As I said, I’m quite a novice and I still have things to learn. (just yesterday I found out that you had to bake the textures before uploading the model to sketchfab haha).

5 Likes

You keep me super excited concerning your progress! Fingers crossed for mastering the baking process😅!

1 Like

Haha yes, I hope I can do it well! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

1 Like

At last. After spending several days working on this project I can finally say that I finished it.

I’m going to comment a little on everything I’ve been doing since the last post I uploaded to this WIP. (actually, I have a lot to comment)

One of the things I did was redesign the general composition of the scene. (I searched for a more suitable composition for sketchfab). In the beginning I liked the idea of ​​making a whole 3d landscape with the characters in the middle but finally I discarded the idea since I didn’t want to create too many objects (and textures) and go over the 100 mb allowed in sketchfab. Knowing this, I decided to create a composition that brings together all the elements in one place and that is interesting to look at from all angles.

This was the sketch that I finally chose as a composition (sorry if it looks kind of ugly but my sketches are always like this haha):

My idea was also to keep that feeling of chaos and fun that appears in the original splash.

Once the composition was chosen, I was left with something like this:

Then I started to put together some textures that I was missing.

For almost all objects I used the “diffuse bsdf” node (along with some modifications).

For example, for the carrot texture I used “pointless” to darken certain parts of its geometry.

For other objects, like the watermelon, I had to use more than one material. (Which complicated me later the part of baking the textures)

By the way, to recreate the skin of the watermelon I based myself on this very useful tutorial:

I also designed normal textures to generate the relief sensation of some objects:

• broccoli - I used the following nodes to recreate the broccoli floret

• carrot: I designed the following node configuration to automatically generate cracks on carrots:

Then I moved on to texture baking (this part was the hardest for me):
As I said before, until a few days ago I had no idea what baking textures meant so I had to look for several tutorial videos to help me with this part. The 2 videos that helped me the most were:

Since I had more than 50 baking textures and I didn’t want to exceed the final size of 100 mb, I decided to make all the images at 1024 x 1024 px resolution (with the exception of some textures that I made at 4k).

I’m not going to lie, it cost me a lot to bake the textures. All the time errors appeared or blender closed unexpectedly. (Aside from that, my computer does not have very good refrigeration and it raised more heat than a microwave)

Finally, after taking two days to bake everything…

I liked how it looked but I felt it lacked that magic that “cycles” gives you when you render the lights.

Comparative:

version that was going to upload to sketchfab:

same version but with the lights rendered in cycles:

So for this reason I decided to re-bake all the textures but with the direct and indirect lights activated. (my pc wanted to die).
Captura de pantalla 2022-09-14 175132

Once everything was baked, I went to the last stage, which was to upload the work to sketchfab. The truth is that I was impressed by the number of options it offers to add effects in post production. (I think I spent 2 or 3 hours trying different configurations haha).

Finally, this is the result! (I uploaded it yesterday to the page)

I’m going to leave some images here so you can see the comparison between the original splash and the version I made more easily.

| thumbnail

I hope you liked my work!

12 Likes

Supercool! You did it!

1 Like

Thank you for supporting me throughout the project! :grin:

1 Like

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 ours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

1 Like

It was my pleasure!

1 Like

I love it! Great revamp of the original splash!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :laughing:

You’re welcome! Did you upload it to Sketchfab? :worried:

Yes! here it is:

4 Likes

Hello Fredic! I talked with you in Sketchfab… i love this 3d image! and i would love to have it to my presentation Powerpoint…do you think its possible?
thank you so much,
Andreia :slight_smile: