Forgotten Childhood

Main Render:

Closeup of the bob omb:

Closeup of the bone fish:

This was a collaboration with Colin Behrens

Done in Blender and Substance Painter. Post processing was done in Photoshop and Gimp.

This image took us quite long to make, about 40h.
I started by drawing some concept art for this scene. After that Colin blocked out the scene and I started modeling the question mark block as well as the coins, bob omb, bones and bone fish. After that we textured the assets in Substance Painter and started adding more details to the scene, such as a lot of plant particle systems. We also refined the water and dirt shaders and spent a long time figuring out the ideal lighting for this scene by trying a lot of different hdrs.
For this project we used assets and textures from Graswald, botaniq as well as Poliigon.com.

I hope you like the scene, we’d be very grateful for feedback in order to improve in the future :+1:
If you’re really motivated try to count how many bones I placed in this scene :wink:

This fanart is completely non commercial.
All rights to the Mario Bros. franchise belong to Nintendo Inc.

Follow me or Colin Behrens if you want to see more renders on Instagram:
Colin Behrens
My Instagram account
Vertex Wizards
Our Blendermarket site

41 Likes

I love how neglected it looks :ok_hand:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Like the little bombs

Thank you very much for the feature, I just saw it now :blush:

1 Like

We wrote a detailed behind the scenes article on blendernation for this project. If you’re interested, check it out!

The image looks great, though have you heard about the real thing similar to this image opening as a theme park in Tokyo (not as realistic, but has all of the classic Mario stuff)?

Interesting to see this image bumped right when the park is nearing completion.

I recently watched a short documentary about that park. It looks really cool indeed. Who knows maybe they’ll decorate it to look neglected for Halloween or so?