Free 3D modellers?

I’ll try to tho I dont promise, the whole thing of saving the vid and uploading is extra time… :wink:

Yeeehaw! I’m currently trying to build Wings on my Intel-Mac here… uh…

should work no probs :slight_smile:

Hmm I didn’t play around with the character-module of Cinema 4D but I thought it would be awsome. Blender doesn’t have a predefined figure like Cinema (or “Biped” from CharacterStudio).

In my experience, that’s by far not andvantage…Let me tell you what I consider advantages in animation, key(allow me playing with words) things :

-good handling of ipo curves (so you can control per bone how motion is interpolated, timing, acceleration…This all is key to go towards natural human movement, harder than learning the technical stuff)
-comfortable and fast handling of keys: copying , moving susbtituting, etc, here is imo the “key”…imo in this I yet like a bit more Max ones than any other software I’ve worked with, including Blender…And still Max has some probs there.
-The rigging, while some ppl consider a modeler guy task, I wouldnt let that task to anyone unless I’m sure he/she is a kickass at that, and even so: one model the wires, texture, and rig knowing what one wants o achieve in animation. I like tho when features like I red in some recent build, hot rigging or something, which is like an automatic setting of weights, is like envelopes aproach but better, is extremely valuable in every day work: you need to cut times. I suspect blender team goes for a very accurate rigging with that system, as usual way of doing, and even if they don’t get that, -the better, the more functional- still you would have to do tons of tweaks for that shoulder bend well in its almost all angles rotation…BUT…would have cut the initial and boring first setup in a big chunk.The more polished the procedure would leave that just placing the bones, the better…
-Also, the mirror weighting. In max, is already a problem free method, while it wasntsome time ago…in blender, the script was still a bit too picky last time I used, and imho cuts the work to do in a 50%.Really important. Probably having it being “more tolerant”, working in every case, would be great.
-In max, you can edit individually the ipo curves, no need to get into one with a key and the edit the splines…
-Every improve on fixed in world space keys…that’s already able to be done with ik targets using empties for example, or just unconnected bones, and several constraints…In my XSI I just hit the pin object key and have an special object there, and in a way bit more flexible than in blender.

So, you don’t expend a long tome building the bones, and in blender that is amazingly fast, more than in some comercial tools.You expend a tad of time setting up the weights and animating with natural flow and copy pasting keyframes, etc…All improves there are really welcome in an anim package.

What i meant is…fast work is…what Wings and Blender allow with fast access to the workflow and actions, no a lot of UI digging, unless you wish it…Maybe that is not so much in cinema…There are many features sold as greatin animation, but the important ones are much related to the handling and to if they allow the real work to be done, and be done fast and accurately.

But I’ll try out BlenRig and the Blender-inbuilt armature is nice indeed.

The problem is every profile requires a lot in 3d, in general in 3d. If you are trying to learn all at a time, you can get frustrated unless you are a patient person. Rigging is not simple in any package, animation, even less.

But the fact is as usual, to do a thing where you control well what’ll happen, no better thing than if you build your own rig…this way you will dont have behavious/limits you dont want or need.

So, you don’t expend a long tome building the bones, and in blender that is amazingly fast, more than in some comercial tools.You expend a tad of time setting up the weights and animating with natural flow and copy pasting keyframes, etc…All improves there are really welcome in an anim package.
That’s right. Animation is a divided part for itself so it’s that complex.

What i meant is…fast work is…what Wings and Blender allow with fast access to the workflow and actions, no a lot of UI digging, unless you wish it…
Phew yeah. I’m playing around with Wings. Some things just seem to be different. I’m not understanding how the “loop cut” works in Wings because it lets me select faces but I juts want to make a cut through an object.
I think I’ll head on to some Wings-tut’s on CGSociety.

I’ve been using Blender for about 3 or 4 months now. I can sincerely say that after trying many of the programs offered I still like Blender as the best, even for mesh modeling and the like.

I don’t know, but for me Blender hit’s the spot as far as ease of use. Sure, it’s heavily key-command based, by I got through that within the first week of using it.

4DBlue seems promising though, and Wings3D is a little too simplistic for me!

Cheers,
John

That’s the true beauty of it… it might appear simplistic at first, but in reality it has an almost insane amount of great features :slight_smile:

That’s the true beauty of it… it might appear simplistic at first, but in reality it has an almost insane amount of great features
Exactly!

Is what I as trying to say. Is hard to explain, but th edepth and power of it is only discovered after a deep use of it. very few ppl get forced to do it. I did for huge job pressure. Someone could think this is so with any modeler. Hmmm…No. I’ve been using(among a tad load of other modelers) another nice modeler, Metasequoia, one of my favs, and Max, and …no. I know exactly what you mean with that sentence, and actually, lets me know you probably have very good handle of it :wink:

There is also such a tool as OpenFX. I have not used it but it seems to be very promising.

found another i belive its opensource called “Topmod” its a nice little modeling program with some good topology tools.

TopMod is cool…I watched the video tutorials and found it as something new and interesting thing…you can make new kind of forms with it…very fashinating. I think there will be many solutions for it in design and art…awesome…

Bryce 5.5: Bryce 5 is the leading 3D program for animators, desktop artists, Web designers and multimedia producers. Bryce is ideal for creating 3D graphics for magazines, ads, or virtually any illustration that would benefit from the powerful 3D impact of realistic perspective and shading. Bryce animation features let you create great animations for video and multimedia easily.
Alibre Design Xpress : Alibre Design Xpress is a rich and capable 3D solid modeler for creating mechanical parts, assemblies and 2D drawings - and is free

Did you copy this from their website? I think Bryce is a toy from the same KPT stable as Poser, nice to fumble with and quick results but not flexible enough to do anything practical. Bryce suffers from the same problem as Poser, when you make anything with it everyone will know how you made it.

Besides, Bryce isnt free

This Alibre is not free but it’s earlier version 9.1 is free to use. Once there is no free opensource solid modeler this is really needed application for me. Hopefully there will be a software for engineering and nurbs and T-splines surface modeling which is free and open source…

Thanks for this Alibre link…

version 5.5 is free :slight_smile:

The “Xpress” version is free, but limited in functionality. The nice thing about their offering, as I understand it, is that you can purchase just the portions, such as complex surfacing capabilities, that you need. Its kind of modular that way, and quite inexpensive as a result.

Another great resource that I’ve mentioned before is Autodesk’s student website (@ students.autodesk.com). They offer free “watermarked” versions of most of their big packages (along with the PLE versions of the rest) for which all you need is access to an .edu email address. I downloaded and installed a full version of Inventor 2008, and as far as I can tell, the only limitation is that it puts a “student version” watermark on the output 2D drawings. I’ve not tested the geometry translation to see if models can be migrated to blender, tho. Its a significant resource than many might be able to take advantage of!

Pretty Poly Editor (PPE)

PPE is a portable open-source 3D-modeller, file viewer and converter

http://www.equinox3d.com/

This page was last modified: 2000-06-17 @ 1:00pm

:wink:

(b.a. approves short messages :ba:)

I have had gSculpt on my system for a while. Can u point to the video tutorials your referring to please. The tools associated with gSculpt r like no other.

Here are some video tutorials about gsculpt:
http://gsculpt.sourceforge.net/video_tutorials.html
:wink:

To my knowledge, there is no better free modeler than Blender. And ZBrush is the most versitile commercial modeler out there. So when will we have something of the ZBrush level in Blender? It couldn’t happen soon enough as far as I’m concerned, but it will depend of course on how many developers are contributing to Blenders technology, and what their priorities are.

How long would it take to make something like this in Blender:

The answer is “I don’t want to think about it”.

That’s why it’s important to grow the Blender community and get more developers on board.

Check out

Made in k3dsurf and rendered in Blender Internal
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff226/kkrawal/logo1_7.jpg