'Friends of Blender Artists' Ads

I think it’s very important that the free version of this site is … nearly all of it. I don’t think there should be any content hidden behind a paywall. Paying to put your portfolio in portfolio section - that’s fine, as long as we don’t start restricting the ability of unpaid members to post images/links/etc.

The pop up ad near the scroll bar is very intrusive on an iPad in landscape mode. It should have a dismiss button so that it does not continue to interfere with reading posts.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting! As mentioned a few posts ago I’ll look in to this today :slight_smile:

I did a minor update to hide the side block on iPads. As I don’t have an android tabled here I can’t test it - can someone let me know?

So, if people posting their add-ons on the subforum wanted to pay some bucks to advertise their thread or store link with the image they wanted, it’d also be fair game?

Yes, that will definitely be an option.

I don’t care that much personally, but just to inform you, I’m a supporter and I’m still seeing the banner.

I run an ad blocker but thought I would turn it off for Blender Artists, so I did and I’m still not seeing any ads.
I checked the whitelist for my ad blocker and Blenderartists is listed there so I have no idea what might be happening.
My browser is FireFox Quantum 65.0.1

Totally missed that had adblocker enabled on BA. I turned it off now.

1 Like

There should be titles for what the ad is for. At first glance, I wouldn’t be interested in this one (for example) at first:
Screenshot%20from%202019-03-14%2016-13-27
It looks like a cue ball stuck in ice.
But if I read that it was a texture pack for snowy ground, I would be interested to see what the textures look like.

3 Likes

Yes I agree. I’m looking to see if I can display that under the ad. If not, the title will need to be part of the graphic.

Update: I have added a text description now. What do you think?

2 Likes

The ad on the side seems to be hidden now on my android tablet.

1 Like

Yep that was my quick fix. I need more time for a better solution.

1 Like

could products in the “friends of blender” ad reel get some badge, different title color or some other stuff on their product threads? or maybe a “Friend of BA” tag one can click and see all advertised products in one place?

1 Like

I think they are a great idea, but their placement just on top of scrollbar is annoying :wink:

1 Like

Would you like it better below the scroll bar?

1 Like

I believe it would fit better below the scroll bar. The position would clearly not be that prominent, but more friendly in my opinion.

To my mind now comes the idea of a vertical right side banner. Part of the annoyance I felt now might be the fact that e.g. with download bar visible in my browser, I can’t see the end of the scrollbar(see screenshot) - and also the fact that the image overlaps into text of the post. - this might be issues connected with fast implementation, not the idea itself…

2 Likes

There’s still a bit of layout work needed but the blender only adds work, I see a lot of actually relevant and useful things that I could actually want to pay for.