'Friends of Blender Artists' Ads

(yogyog) #61

I think it’s very important that the free version of this site is … nearly all of it. I don’t think there should be any content hidden behind a paywall. Paying to put your portfolio in portfolio section - that’s fine, as long as we don’t start restricting the ability of unpaid members to post images/links/etc.

(James Boddie) #62

The pop up ad near the scroll bar is very intrusive on an iPad in landscape mode. It should have a dismiss button so that it does not continue to interfere with reading posts.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #63

Thanks for reporting! As mentioned a few posts ago I’ll look in to this today :slight_smile:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #64

I did a minor update to hide the side block on iPads. As I don’t have an android tabled here I can’t test it - can someone let me know?

(ouraf) #65

So, if people posting their add-ons on the subforum wanted to pay some bucks to advertise their thread or store link with the image they wanted, it’d also be fair game?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #66

Yes, that will definitely be an option.

(Piotr Adamowicz) #67

I don’t care that much personally, but just to inform you, I’m a supporter and I’m still seeing the banner.

(caz747) #68

I run an ad blocker but thought I would turn it off for Blender Artists, so I did and I’m still not seeing any ads.
I checked the whitelist for my ad blocker and Blenderartists is listed there so I have no idea what might be happening.
My browser is FireFox Quantum 65.0.1

(BigBlend) #69

Totally missed that had adblocker enabled on BA. I turned it off now.

There should be titles for what the ad is for. At first glance, I wouldn’t be interested in this one (for example) at first:
Screenshot%20from%202019-03-14%2016-13-27
It looks like a cue ball stuck in ice.
But if I read that it was a texture pack for snowy ground, I would be interested to see what the textures look like.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #71

Yes I agree. I’m looking to see if I can display that under the ad. If not, the title will need to be part of the graphic.

Update: I have added a text description now. What do you think?

(Paul) #72

The ad on the side seems to be hidden now on my android tablet.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #73

Yep that was my quick fix. I need more time for a better solution.

(ouraf) #74

could products in the “friends of blender” ad reel get some badge, different title color or some other stuff on their product threads? or maybe a “Friend of BA” tag one can click and see all advertised products in one place?

(BlenderKit) #75

I think they are a great idea, but their placement just on top of scrollbar is annoying :wink:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #76

Would you like it better below the scroll bar?

I believe it would fit better below the scroll bar. The position would clearly not be that prominent, but more friendly in my opinion.

(BlenderKit) #78

To my mind now comes the idea of a vertical right side banner. Part of the annoyance I felt now might be the fact that e.g. with download bar visible in my browser, I can’t see the end of the scrollbar(see screenshot) - and also the fact that the image overlaps into text of the post. - this might be issues connected with fast implementation, not the idea itself…

(Jeacom) #79

There’s still a bit of layout work needed but the blender only adds work, I see a lot of actually relevant and useful things that I could actually want to pay for.

(Bart Veldhuizen) unpinned #80