Fun things about the new forum

I was thinking… of course we lose things when migrating to new software, but I don’t know, I always like trying out new software :slight_smile: So lets dedicate a thread to fun new features.

Like, I discovered you can setup a little banner in the profile settings, so that when people click on your avatar, they get to see that banner as the background image, which I think is really cool, especially on such an art-focused forum like this one.

And another thing I am seeing at this moment is that when you make a new topic, the software tries to suggest topics similar to your own. So that if you’re making a new topic on a commonly answered question you can see immediately that there are already topics on that subject.

What fun things have you discovered?

12 Likes

Badges are a really fun way to discover features and learn how to use them.

I’m currently the only user to proudly wear the “licensed” badge:

6 Likes

Holy crap, there’s an advanced user tutorial? :open_mouth:

Another thing I noticed: if you go to your profile, and then to… actvity, you can download all your posts. This forum is GDPR ready :smiley:

5 Likes

@Cebbi how did you get that :smiley:

@Therahedwig You can try to communicate with @discobot for a tutorial-like chat. Check your inbox :upside_down_face:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Ask discobot for help, it will tell you. :robot:

2 Likes

I got bored too early with him i guess :smiley:

@discobot roll 99d99

I only have 20 dice. Shameful, I know!

:game_die: 22, 85, 82, 64, 64, 84, 4, 4, 88, 32, 79, 65, 22, 55, 36, 69, 7, 7, 11, 72

@discobot ? So there is an AI in the forum? - Well you got to love this. ^^

1 Like

I love this topic :slight_smile:

One of the things I really like is that you can see when someone is typing in a reply, and that new posts automatically appear. Also, the notifications area really good.

4 Likes

Here is another thing I love! - The WYSIWYG editor for the posts is brilliant and the fact, that it can be resized by pulling on the bar on top is a very handy feature for longer posts. - Specially on a forum, that relies so heavily on visual content this is truly 2.O…:smiley:

3 Likes

All of this is really nice!

1 Like

:tangerine::avocado::cut_of_meat::mushroom::ramen:
:horse::lizard::crab::maple_leaf::rainbow:
:pick::arrow_up_down::ideograph_advantage::hourglass:

new icons!

2 Likes

The funny feature I’ve spotted for some minutes was that I’ve had access to moderation forum category.
I seriously had a good read, and discovered so many things about users here that you can’t even believe.
Discovered secrets identities, and had really good laugh at all the people reporting me for things like racism, misogyny… and moderators’ replies and talks. Really, had good laugh with no bad feelings.
I think mod’s life in dealing with reports here is busy, but funny.

Now It’s gone and I hardly can keep going without it. It’s like a drug.
Please give me access again.:sob::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

^ Screenshots?
Noticed gifs preview in thread lists now, a major improvement for animations, sims, games etc.
Check out:

Imagine you’re deving something, a game, addon, whatever. If you find a host that can take updated images to the same address, you can embed a gif in the first post and update the preview indefinitely.

Anyone know of such a host? Else, what’s the window for post editing?

Locked out? Boo!

You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 4 hours before trying again.<

@bartv Can you make the above unlock a badge. Something like: Motormouth? Pesky Poster? Suggestions?

@LazyVirus Was joking… mostly.

2 Likes

I’ve got them don’t worry (and not just ss).
I’m just not as much “dick” (someone knows what I mean) to make them public with no reasons and got not interest in doin it.

As I’ve told, I had interesting readings, and good laughs. I see this community members from another perspective. And for me it’s enough.
Obviously I was ironic about my request to have access again. My post was actually a heads up for administrators, cause one mistake like this is dangerous.
:kissing_heart: to everyone.

PS: I miss my old signature.

Yeah we noticed this shortly after the site went live and locked it down. Keep these to yourself please.

Forum hotkeys!

Press ? to see them.

Also, as a moderator, I love the ability to speak directly to users about posts they’ve flagged. Sometimes it’s not clear why and it can be annoying to have to send a PM to find out.

4 Likes

OMG how could I forget these! I do almost ANYTHING with hotkeys here :ok_hand:

grreeaat… hotkeys…

just what us blender heads need more of…

4 Likes