GeForce or Quadro graphics card?

Hey there! I am between the QUADRO RTX 500 16 gb and the GEFORCE RTX 3060 12 gb.
The cpu is intel, the ram is 32 gb, and 1tb ssd. My work is mainly in Blender, and some other programs like from Adobe. Which graphics card should i pick and why?

If it’s a choice between the two without any other options, I’ll go for the NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3060. I think quadro would be good for durability, but

RTX 3060 12gb
Stream processors: 3584
PCIe4.0x16
Power usage: Up to 170W

Quadro RTX 5000 16gb
Stream processors: 3072
PCIe3.0x16
Power usage: Up to 265W

※ Choose Quadro if the motherboard supports PCI 3.0 (high power consumption)

Okay Thank you! My opinion is also the geforce because this series does well in blender. The quadros, i have read that are very good with a lot precise and complex calculations, which makes them perfect dor cad programs but not so with blender like programs. In my experience, the quadro 4000, was to slow with renders. I dont know why tho

Geforce and Quadro, as far as Blender is concerned differ in the amount of RAM and power consumption. Quadro will have more memory and slightly more compute cores, but will be clocked lower to ensure lower power consumption and lower operating temperatures. This can result in slightly slower performance.

If you compare 3070 and A4000, both a based on 104 chip, but the Quadro has more cores, lower clocks, lower power usage and slightly lower compute performance.

RTX 3070

Quadro A4000

When looking at Quadro cards you should pay attention at the generation of architecture. Usually the first letter before the number is the clue. A - Ampere, which means it is a 3000 series card. The Quadro you are looking at is from a previous generation of cards, the 2000 series. A lower tier card of a newer generation is more performant, usually. This can be seen on Blenders own data sheets.

RTX 5000 score

RTX 3060 score

So in the end, it comes down to the budget and the need for RAM. There is not much difference in terms of speed between the two.

1 Like

Thank you! This was really informative!

Quadro cards are quite poor value if you use Blender and none of those PRO CAD software packages. Not sure what sort of deal you are getting on that RTX5000, but there are plenty of normal Geforce cards that will outperform it comfortably while having the same 16 gigs of Ram. Lets say RTX4060 ti or RTX 4070 ti super, or whatever it’s called.

If you have a choice to get RTX 5000 for the price of a 3060, I would also go with the Quadro. I would sacrifice tiny bit of performance for that extra 4 gigs of ram.

2 Likes

is it a tiny bit of performance or will the 3060 outperform it comfortably? I am confused.

RTX 5000 scores 2000 on Blender open data.

3060 - 2250 score - tiny bit faster.
4060 ti - 3830 score - “comfortably” outperforms 5000.
4070 ti super - 7235 score. The score speaks for itself.

1 Like

yes, this is why i think I prefer the 3060 even tho it has less ram. I just cant figure out that even the quasro series are really strong, with a lot of ram and great performance, what goes so wrong when using Blender with it. I just dont want to choose the 3060 when I could have gotten sth that is better and with some settings and tweaking in the pc will do just fine

Would need to know which Quadro 4000 it was. There are multiple versions of it spanning over several generations of cards. Perhaps it was an old model that does not support Optix acceleration.

Quadro M4000 - 200 score.
Quadro P4000 - 462 score.
Quadro RTX 4000 - 2000 score.
Quadro A4000 - 2950 score.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Don’t forgot about Blender Open Data site, it’s perfect for comparing CPU & GPU’s in relation to Blender.

• Quadro RTX 5000 (16 GB) score is : 2005.71
  • NVIDIA RTX 3060 (12 GB) score is : 2247.93
  • NVIDIA RTX 4060 (12 GB) score is : 3196.98
  • Quadro RTX 500 – (4 GB) - not listed (I don’t recommend this one)

You are sacrificing 4 GB of RAM for high performance so you’ll need to decide what is more important for your use case(s). Are your renders using close to 12 or over 12 GB ram?

Are you looking at the 5000 or 500? It’s not clear from your description. The 4090 is almost the same price as the RTX 5000. 4090 would be the best choice by far. The RTX 500 isn’t recommended as the 3060 is way better for Blender. RTX 4060 would be even better (I have this one in my PC and it works great for Blender). But this will depend on your budget and availability in your region.

Good luck and happy blending.

The quadro cards aren’t built for performance, they are built for reliability.

it’s like a bulldozer compared to a race car. it’s not as fast, but it’s relatively unstoppable.

I don’t recommend quadro cards for blender, I had a $1200 quadro in my CAD workstation and it performed terribly compared to a $250 geforce.

The reliability gains are pretty much irrelevant as far as blender is concerned, but the speed impact is significant.

3 Likes

I have previously used the quadro rtx 4000 12gb, i dont know any more details sadly, and it really couldn’t handle cycles with optix, or any render in a normal time. Maybe it was an older chip architecture or sth else that i dont know

That was a very good metaphor!
I have read that in CAD programs, the quadro series will do just fine, because they are great with precision and multiple calculations at once. Precision is very much used in CAD programs, and not so much in Blender.
So this is also my conclusion, that any geforce will do better in blender like programs.

GeForce. Because Blender render engines works with CUDA and GLSL.

Some 3D softwares, especially some CAD softwares are programmed for Quadro architecture. But Blender not like this.

1 Like

When I actually used it, I don’t know the difference between the two.
It’s not exactly common to see the difference between the two :slightly_smiling_face:
I mostly choose GeForce, but I personally trust Quadro.

Difference is architecture (a little bit). Blender does not developed based on Quadro specifications. SolidWorks etc. can recognize Quadro cards and works with these specifications.

1 Like

If it was an RTX 4000, meaning it had Optix capabilities, then getting an RTX 5000 won’t do you much good. If it was extremely slow, may I suggest paying attention to the Ram usage? Perhaps you have exceeded the 12 gig buffer, at which point GPU rendering becomes extremely slow, as slow as CPU rendering.

Stick with anything nvidia. I made the mistake recently buying a AMD Radeon RX 7600XT 16GB GDDR6. Wanting to speed up my blender workflow and rendering. Which it did just that. But for the price it really wasn’t that big of a difference of my current card. (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER). One thing I didn’t notice is you need cuda for certain other programs, as well as blender to get the best out of it. I use reality capture to save my traditional work. Radeon cards wont do it. Wish I knew ahead of time. I went a week with the new card before finding this out and had to sell it. For now, just sticking with my old card. Does the job. Slower, but reliable.

1 Like

yes, both 4000 (which i have used in the past) and the new 5000 are both rtx and both support supposedly optix.
As for the ram, i was curious so i opened a blender project with the rtx 4000, and it is significally slow from my card which is a geforce from the 4 series (didnt expect to be faster, i didnt expect anything basically).
But the interesting part is that i pressed to render with cuda and not optix, and the message ''the system is out of gpu memory ‘’ popped, which is weird because i have rendered the exact scene before, with cards with les vram