General AI Discussion

God, this freaks me out. Makes me want to blow up a bunch of silicon-valley corporation server clusters like I was Tyler Durden. I really need more soap. A lot more soap.

P.S.: Now I’m probably on a couple of lists.

9 Likes

Is this a software that ppl can try or you have to build it from source or coding?

3 Likes

At this rate, my ~2-year-old nephew will be able to just scan scribbles into daddy’s computer and have high-resolution masterpieces that are better than what I am making in Blender at 33 years of age (after being at it for 18 years).

Just look at how well Nvidia’s AI is doing at converting 10 second doodles into photographs.

7 Likes

Indded. I can make much better images today knowing much less about a render engine than in 2001 when i needed to know every trick of 3DsMax scanline render.

1 Like

AFAIK, there is no demo available.

2 Likes

Better visually, worthless from an artistic perspective, and I believe that will always matter

4 Likes

After the AI phase you will be able to arrange things. But consider that some with better description capability might get far.

1 Like

I have a lot to say about that, but I feel it’d be derailing the thread further – it’s useful to have a thread just for the presentation of new technology without it getting side-tracked into possible consequences. Could we take it elsewhere, either an existing thread, or make a new one?

2 Likes

Good point Piranha4D

1 Like

Yeah… you make a good point, this whole discussion is technically off topic. I’m going to split it off into a new discussion where you can share whatever you want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe having perpetual containment thread about AI imagery would be a good idea?
So this topic would not creep everywhere?

2 Likes

That is a good idea :thinking: we do seem to pretty regularly have the exact same discussion every two weeks or so. I’ll see what the other staff members think

1 Like

I’ll still be putting any new AI image technology on the topic New Technologies that i created.

3 Likes

Ok. Was really hoping to test this for a project. The results look quite good.

1 Like

A lot of these tools will kill creativity, inspire laziness, and spawn a whole generation of 3D artists that aren’t artists at all. Why on earth would any so-called artist want an AI to create their art for them?
Fair enough, I’m all for tools to automate the more technical aspects of our pipelines and help with the more mundane tasks, but the ‘make art’ button? No thanks.

12 Likes

It’s not really art at all though. Art is created through human emotion and creative inspiration. Machines creating art is nothing more than a meaningless parody.

6 Likes

Do you think creating an object trough photogrammetry manually can be seen as art?

Instead lets say i want to create a 3D movie but i don’t have assets and this helps me finish the movie?

2 Likes

All this “tools” will kill “Art” in today meaning of word. Humans don’t love to feel defeated. Remember what happen to chess? Once when computer defeat human champion, humanity lose interest in chess.
So what is purpose to compete in game which are rigged before beginning? Why to waste years of training when every moron can push button and destroy your ‘art’ with ease? Why to deal with spoiled, lazy, slow, demanding artists when you can press button and save bunch of $$$$ and nerves?
I can like this all day. For sure humans love “beautiful” stuff, but human relationship and understanding of art will change a lot in the foreseeable future. Just like many other things.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that grim. These tools will never replace humans for creativity, because it’s impossible for a machine to be ‘creative’ - unless, of course, it goes full ‘Ghost in the shell’.

People still use 2,500 year old sculpting and painting techniques, even though they could use computers.
They will be used for more technical/laborious tasks, but not creative ones. Take mocap for example. It’s been around years, but even though it’s 100% realistic movement, it looks terrible against a skilled human animator’s work. Ironically, it’s lifeless.

3 Likes

Yap, ‘realism’ often look awkward. remember photo comics? They fail miserably, simply they look stiff - unnatural, and public reject this. Photographer use heavy edit to make his photos ‘bigger than life’…
Then look to AI. “He” learn, learn fast. It’s matter of time when he will put together a puzzle and understand what this meat bags actually want and love. Biggest obstacle in AI evolution are not technology or programming. We humans don’t understand human mind, and this slow AI evolution. Now AI join to research… somehow I think that he will very soon understand human mind better than humans. So this is not a Ghost In The Shell… in time when Masamune draw his comics things are not go so far. Although many of his ‘predictions’ come to reality. Although I guess that he will make these comics differently these days. His comics are dark and grim… these days they will be grimmer and darker.
Yap, people still use 'analog mudbox" :smiley: and analog paint techniques but how much. Just like people still use vinyl records. Again humans have competition in his genes… but they also learn to spare energy in situation when they can’t ‘win’. I can make one analogy with stuff which we can see these days… but this will be uncomfortable for some people here, so I will skip this.

We will see how much is really impossible for a machine to be creative. 30 years ago idea that even cheap home PC will be enough powerful to make ‘realistic’ renders with GI, DOF, Bloom, Motion Blur etc. was something like SF. 10 or even 5 years ago DALLE2 was something from Star Wars universe.

Art in some shape will survive… but not art which we know. Handmade art will exist, just like people still can order hand made barrel. Other stuff will be ‘created’ by button pushers, which will have his “creative” AI advisers. Who will know better market demands than AI which monitor entire pool of data.

3 Likes