Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

@BD3D Dorian! thank for your answer!

Its any work aroun for this so far? The only soluiton so far I found to move the camera smoothly is to disable the add on on preferences.

Cheers,
Pato.

Feature request:

For heavy scenes you turn of the scattered objects in the viewport, because of performance.
But what if to fine tune a small area of the scattered scene? It would be nice to have all the scattered objects visible, but only a small area, so the viewports stays smart.

Maybe we cold have a box, in which is everything visible. Just made a mockup:

Could this work?

2 Likes

yes as i said:

see camera dependencies update in the online manual, you can turn off the update

What do you think of a “face sample” feature in display?
We’d select faces where it is needed to have a preview

Could this work?

It’s possible if we sample the emitter like the solution above, in video-game for example, such emitting surface is divided in squared area, and the player/set dresser is turning on/off the areas he is working on.
We could implement such feature for selected faces, that could work

In the meanwhile, you can use a vertex-group, altho a dedicated feature is indeed interesting :thinking:

2 Likes

In the end it doesn’t matter if I have to select faces or put a cube on the preview area. The result is the same. I personally think a cube only solution would be more straight forward and easier to use for the user.

Yes, I did my mockup with a vertex group. But I think a dedicated feature for this, is much more easy to use.

1 Like

Technically, when using a cube, the points need to be generated first before being culled, therefore such technique wouldn’t be the most efficient, that’s why i proposed face-selection preview above :slight_smile: Ok it’s noted in my TODO

News

New example file available
About the “instancing by scale” feature
https://sites.google.com/view/scatter5docs/example-files

https://twitter.com/_BD3D/status/1476972543013797888

Bonus: the shader is derived from the mask! an important detail boosting the realism of the landscape

https://twitter.com/_BD3D/status/1476979828528234499

10 Likes

Great to hear that this on your TODO.

About how to implement it, you should ask yourself:

• What’s the most easiest way for the user to use it (maybe it the select method?)
  • Is the performance drop for the cube method notable in the view?

From my point of view, the main advantage of the cube method would be, it’s easier to select the area I want, because I don’t have to switch to edit mode for selecting verticies and it’s easier to adjust the area, for the same reason :wink:

But it’s your job to figure out what’s the most user friendly approach and technically feasible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@BD3D Dorain Happy new year!

Yesterday i went to the documentation and what you said, but im not usign camera culling on any of the systems so what I should turn off in case?

Cheers,
Pato.

The camera update dependencies :slight_smile: Set it to manual refresh for now

1 Like

Hello, I am trying to make a large city scape ( almost around 500 sqkm) using scatter 5. Since the scene is really huge I thought of breaking the terrain in to different parts and to work on each from a different file. I have done this previously with the old particle system in blender, where I will scatter the model on a plane and link the plane in to a different blender file which is the main scene file. Right now when I am trying to link the plane with particle system to another file, only the plane comes but without any system which is scattered in the other file. Is there any way to solve this? or is it possible to do so?

@BD3D totally worked! :smiley:

1 Like

@Akhil_A_B welcome to blender artist!

Geometry node objects linking is not fully supported by blender currently (unfortunately).
I would suggest export your particle system as instances with the “Selected to Instances” operator and link the instances collection in your file :slight_smile:

I thought of breaking the terrain in to different parts and to work on each from a different file.

That’s interesting! could you perhaps send me screenshots of your projects via MP or here, that way we could further understand your need and potentially propose improvements to the plugin regarding your workflow.

edit*
i added a pro tip regarding this information in the doc/

2 Likes

@BD3D Will try that for sure, Thanks for the quick response.

2 Likes

work like a charm. Thanks.

I just want to say thank you for this amazing tool!
Makes live so much easier and is fun to use :slight_smile:

Greetings from Germany,

Schmidtli

1 Like

thanks a lot Schmidtli!
Don’t hesitate to leave a little review if you have time ! :angel: https://blendermarket.com/products/scatter/ratings

Sure thing!

Hey, I think I found a bug (hopefully not a limitation of the nodes):
when using a camera constrained to a path and tracking an empty, the frustum culling is not working.
I guess it doesn’t detect the camera position/orientation because of the constraints !

Is there any word on Scatter5 Free? I only ask because since the Beta ended, the listing on Gumroad says “This upcoming free version will be available right in time for blender 3.0 that was recently delayed to this December.” and December ended.

Are there still plans for a free version? (I assume the free version, if still planned, is just the scattering tools without the biomes, or with a limited demo set, like gScatter)

We fixed this bug, the fix will be published in 5.1 release later this month.
If you are in a hurry you can send me a message on the blendermarket and I’ll give an early version of the build.

Thanks for the reminder, i updated the page

Yes of course, a version for hobbyist will be available early 2022.
We do not have a precise date yet.

Thanks for the answer, it’s ok, I’m just testing a lot of stuff on personal projects, I can wai until the end of the month :slight_smile:

1 Like