Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Season2 Update

Altitude is done, now it’s time for Slope !

Ui is also really different

12 Likes

Now this draws us to fully automatic grass growth. Really good job.

1 Like

Awesome! :+1:

can you make the same for borders? custom fallof curve could be really handy for finetuning the edges of our scatters

2 Likes

i could but the tool will assume you are using a grid like topology for yur terrain

Ok and do you know a way to make a grid like topology we need for scatter from an ngon flat 2D mesh automatically?

annoying huh ?
supposedly the pablo debarro new remesher is supposed to work with flat ngon but for me it didn’t

I think i’ll move

• Terrain retopology
  • Border
  • Camera Clipping/Culling rework
  • maybe occlusion tool ? idk yet

to Season3.
as we still got a lot of work to do

1 Like

same here, also tried with the voxel remesher but with no luck.

Any clue on how to achieve collisions between particles?
That would bring your scatterer to the ultimate level.

there’s a way to interact with the particles directly within python unfortunately it will be destructive.
that’s for later, idk if it’s possible, carbon2 may help with that

OK thanks for the answer

Just thinking, Can you use the bevel modifier to influence the edge of the boundary?

damn look like you guys christmas will come earlier thanks to carbon!
He helped me a lot with the group calculation, as it’s out of my league for now

guess what this is :zipper_mouth_face:

just got the data generation fct for now.
still needs to do the modstack integration/ curve mapping/ ux/ gui

14 Likes

If this is border fallof you’ve just solved your clean border problem! We just need two scatters now. One big patch for the grass lawn with the fallof you’ve showed and one smaller patch only for borders with the same inverted faloff. :partying_face:

Great progress! Now just an autoretopo for 2D ngon mesh and you’ve solved the 2 main problems for archviz work. :ok_hand:

1 Like

what version are you using ?

• Non official +

0 voters

1 Like

Season 2 Update

Performance Increase

Operators such as Boolean curve, Multilayer painting influence attribution, displacement and Camera clipping got severe performance boost with demanding scenes.

This terrain with 5 particle system, 1.5 millions particles.
everything is extremely slow but even with 50 modifiers in the modstack, those Operators are still relatively Fast (from 120s before to 15s max after)

modstack below

New hide all particles operators

Way faster than turning all particle off by hands in demanding scene, if too laggy even for hiding the particles just search for this option

f

we also got a nice render here
i’m almost sure it’s my assets

10 Likes

I saw that it’s possible to calculate camera visibility in python. The weightlifter addon do this really well, I’m confident this calculation method would be quite effective in scatter.

if we switch to this calculation method it’s also bring the possibility of supporting multiple cameras at the same time as we could stack up multiple weightmap. But you will need to click “recalculate” everytime you move a camera, no more live view…

worth switching ?
Both method are not suited for animation and live views tends to be slow with high particle count anyway.

• New calculation > Having clipping live in the viewport
  • New calculation < Having clipping live in the viewport
0 voters

Season2 Update

Clean Borders !

where you also can reverse the influences at will

video demo in the tweet below

https://twitter.com/dorianborremans/status/1245386669525798917

New Documentation system

as i say there was a huge rework with the GUI, one of them was the “sub-categories”, ( grey boxes see below )

now in those sub-categories/tittle there will be a little Documentation icon that you can click to read some deeper explanation about the workflow, or some precision you need to know.

Annotation 2020-04-01 234839
Annotation 2020-04-01 234751

it also used as a notification system if you are doing something wrong.

Annotation 2020-04-01 234549

for example here, user got a notification because he didn’t apply displace modifiers, and altitude/slope will misbehave sometime with non applied displace modifiers (yeah in the end you will need to apply the modifiers…)

edit:

New option for borders: Use Seam instead of border

Clean borders will also have an option that let you use edges marked as seam insteadof the boundary loops. quite powerful

Annotation 2020-04-02 172724

New Curve mapping preset/function system

I added a new preset system just above the curves mapping graphs

Annotation 2020-04-02 172806

demo on this tweet below
https://twitter.com/dorianborremans/status/1245724177295904770

edit:

Better Displacement Border

you can now clean displacement border with same technique

https://twitter.com/dorianborremans/status/1245822955625402368

edit:

The particle tab got separated into “Scattering” for the particle distribution options and “Clustering” for the distribution texture

Annotation 2020-04-07 150153

Reworked the instances collection, the panel have a better behavior (avoided some errors)
and also, everything will be stored in one and only collection instead of creating a new one per terrains.

10 Likes

I found this addon to actually work quit well on imported line drawings from CAD software so far :grinning:

Just a hint for large surfaces, the initial edge length for the triangulation is set to 0.1 which is very detailed.
I would use it on a small plane first and set it higher. The addon will use the new value for future calculation.

Edit:
I also took some time to test Scatter on a large scale project

It’s great to see what it is capable of

5 Likes

Wow this looks awesome, have to find some time to test it

How do I change the scale / thickness of the light green and dark green bands in this biome?.aio_12#allinone#biome#lawn#fresh#grass#lawn#dual#duo#cut@BD3D