Boundary aligned remesh

I saw people sharing stuff about triangle meshes, cloth simulation, so I had to give my small contribution.

I made this addon last night.

The algorithm is quite simple and very similar to the one used on Toporake, feel free to use and adapt the code as you want.

boundary_alinged_remesh.py (6.8 KB)

57 Likes

Wow! Thanks for sharing this! Very useful for sculpting :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome!
Thank you very much Jeacom.

wow … thanks…
very useful
:grinning:

Great for Fonts or imported SVGs.
No Rendering Artefacts.
Now there would only have to be one trick to use the Bevel Modifier (Bevel-Shader is too inflexible and slow)

11 Likes

Looks like in the more recent versions of Blender 2.8 the add-on has broke:

No, its not broken, make sure your model is open, This addon only works for models with boundary not solid meshes.
Seems like I forgot to trow a warning message instead if allowing a error exception :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

That did the trick, was trying to use it on a solid one. The error had always made me think it was partially not working at times. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

It does seem broken to me @Jeacom, it gives me this error when enabling it in the latest 2.80 build. Anything I can do myself?

edit: info: W7 x64, blender-2.80-388ff003e28b-win64

Darkfibre is right, I get the same error as well.

Humm It might be some new build’s problem.

Its fixed now.

Seems like they renamed VIEW3D_MT_object_specials to VIEW3D_MT_object_context_menu

boundary_alinged_remesh.py (6.8 KB)

9 Likes

Hi Jeacom,

super fast fix, many thanks.

2 Likes

Yep it works now. Thanks for the quick fix!

I need to try it.

Nice!

Good_Omens_Title_Card I was looking for and addon to allow me create this kind of letter that are often used on movie titles. I still will face a lot of manual work, but without this addon the work would be bigger, a lot bigger.

hi @Jeacom … don’t working on last blender update, have you some plan to update this fantastic addon?

another thing, is very hard to implement “keep boundary vertex number” option? (no change curve/edge boundary segments\vertex count and position)

thank you very much

1 Like

I tested and its working fine on the latest blender, I updated the addon also, make sure you have the latest version.
and sorry, I couldn’t manage to lock the borders, if the boundary is not subdivided the internal edges next to it go crazy and never stop subdividing to compensate until the RAM runs out or the CPU blow up, whatever comes first :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Love this add-on. Has the Github repository been updated with the latest version?

yes, it has been updated.

2 Likes