Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Just updated to the latest version and opened an old scene. I was using your addon for 2 different areas. A garden and grass. The garden wasn’t using the proxy system and is working fine. The grass was and I can’t figure out how to turn off the proxies now it’s been removed from the addon? I’m hoping I don’t have to remake the grass.

I changed the proxy system twice since the first version, did you yet the first version, or Season1 with proxify ?

Don’t worry tho, everything is still stored within your blend.

Season 1 with proxify. I used to just press the proxify button to toggle it on/off.

Thanks bro! I am just having to bang out this bg super fast… I’ll get up to speed and master this damn thing when I get a chance. ; - )

Okay, just one more question (hopefully): Are we able to use linked assets? I just linked some trees and I am not able to get them to Scatter onto my terrain geo… “have at least one mesh in selection” is what I am getting when I select my different trees, then select my terrain and click Scatter…

alright, no worries, proxify addon is available in Object>ViewportDisplay>Proxify as a standalone anyway, the

Annotation 2020-04-28 181226

scatter the object within the selection

so just select the object and hit scatter that’s all. i don’t get why you are selecting the terrain.
+don’t link it’s useless if you are working alone and prone to problems
+be careful about geometry, scatter will probably automatically set the tree as a bounding box for you on scattering

1 Like

No luck. Installed the proxify standalone and none of the buttons changed anything. I rolled back to S1 and it’s all working again.

Dorian, first of all, thanks for the speedy help yesterday. I got that bg image knocked out like a champ.

So if I’m not linking my trees, flowers, etc, my blend ends up being multiple GBs… Ouch. And I am a guy who likes to save incremental versions of scenes. Certainly I can’t be alone. Are you saying that scattering linked meshes is not an option, at all?

1 Like

it can work, just expect some features to be buggy as linked mesh interactivity is extremely limited. (for example the toolbox won’t work, or anything that consist of going on edit mode for example)

if you report an error happening with linked mesh just send me a PM it will be corrected on next update

Great! Thank ye! Please bro, if there is anything you can do to make linked assets play nicer with Scatter, I (and surely many others) would be eternally grateful. Heavy archviz scenes with buttloads of landscaping make for ridiculous filesizes, if everything is saved into one’s blend file.

3 Likes

Second to norka, that’d be great!!!

1 Like

sure just report me bugs related to linked mesh behavior i may forgot when coding the addon

What’s the best approach to getting hard edges on grass so it does not overflow and poke outside of the boundary?

Problem I have;

Getting thick consistent grass to the edge without overflowing.

assuming that your terrain have clean borders (no terrain geometry under the decorative elements

you can use the new clean border workflow
https://twitter.com/dorianborremans/status/1245386669525798917
note that your terrain topology need to be clean, don’t have a big ngon as a terrain, but a clean topology

3 Likes

Hello Dorian,

first of all, thanks for this great addon. Its a pleasure to work with.

After installing the new version of scatter i noticed that new created biomes are no longer applicable because of an utf-8 error that appears immediately after selecting it from the biomes manager. I found out, it can be solved by converting the generated files in “…\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\Scatter Asset Library_biomes__presets_\custom****.py” from ANSI to utf-8 with the windows-10 built-in editor. Its a workaround, but not really comfortable. Or am i doing something wrong (maybe wrong OS or Blender settings)?

The second thing… (i am not sure that it works as intendet)… everytime i use scatter in an scene with existing displacement-modifiers on objects, some (not all) of the displacement maps are replaced by the scatter ones. How can i avoid this?

Hello and welcome

thanks for your report,
could you specify what you meant by “new created biome” ?

• biome shipped with scatter ?
  • biome you just created in the biome creator ?
  • biome you created made in an old scatter version and wanted to move into this new one ?

The second thing… (i am not sure that it works as intendet)… everytime i use scatter in an scene with existing displacement-modifiers on objects, some (not all) of the displacement maps are replaced by the scatter ones. How can i avoid this?

sometimes scatter is trying to automatically apply the scale of your object (it’s always important to apply the scale in blender)

so what you are seeing is maybe the displacement intensity may be decreasing because of this scale being applied.

Or:
it’s a naming convention issue, if your modifier is name DISPLACE XX for example, I need to have a closer took into a file.

Sorry for your troubles,
Best

thanks for your fast reply,

• with “new created biomes” i mean new biomes just created with the biome creator (appears with Blender 2.83beta and 2.82a)

• with the displacement modifier… hopefully the attached screenshot can explain what i mean…

after scattering the terrain my procedural “woodlogs-disp” will be deleted and replaced automatically by the “SCATTER: chickweed…” map

2 Likes

thanks for the report, i’ll look this up tomorrow

1 Like

How dare you touch their logs!

1 Like

yes, he did … :laughing:

but he deserves my full respect for solving both problems in no time.

Now it works absolutly flawlessly without touching the logs anymore.

Thanks a lot for your quick help, Dorian. :+1:

2 Likes