Geometry Nodes Development Discussion

Some time ago, there used to be PRs about SDF-nodes already, but the work was discontinued at some point. I cannot comment on the details though (maybe unclear design, maybe sth. else), I never cared enough to check it in detail.

greetings, Kologe

Hey, guys! Iā€™m using the latest build of Blender 4.2 and Iā€™m trying to test the Hans Goudey file attached in this PR using the new Mouse Position node https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/pulls/121043 and Iā€™m expected to create a sphere on Suzanne when clicked. I tried to do this but the sphere is created in the center of the world. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Viewport Transform Test.blend (134.5 KB)

1 Like

Works fine here, windows 10, nvidia card

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! Iā€™ll try to figure out whatā€™s going wrong with me

1 Like

It might be a DPI thing. I just committed a fix that will hopefully address this: Fix #121217: Mouse position node size sockets ignore UI scale

6 Likes

Thanks for the fix! I built Blender with the update and now everything works for me! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Hi Everyone

Is it normal that the transfer attributes nodes are no longer automatically converted since blender 3.6.9 ?
In blender 3.6.7 the old transfer attributes are automatically converted to their new equivalent nodes, but since 3.6.9 the nodes are set as ā€œundefinedā€ therefore breaking backward compatibility

Looks like a bug
@HooglyBoogly are you aware of this change? Quite important if a bug

1 Like

No, that was a bug unfortunately: Regression: Transfer Attribute isnā€™t versioned correctly from 3.3.X to 3.6.10

Should be in the next LTS release.

4 Likes

Ah, glad it has been noticed! :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

For those struggling to figure out how to now align vectors with the Align Euler to Vector node being deprecated.

Geometry Nodes: Add Align Rotation to Vector node Ā· 462e7aeedd - blender - Blender Projects

3 Likes

TBH, I stared at all the new rotation nodes and tried to determine how to replace the deprecated nodeā€¦ After about 15 mins, I just closed the file and thought ok, whatever.

1 Like

The buildbot now has a build that contains the new node.

I tried it, it works exactly like the old one in terms of node setup. Aligning objects instanced by points created by the Mesh to Points node is easy again.

1 Like

Someone out there is not giving up on legacy modifiers, I wonder how the devs. will handle this.

#121329 - Modifiers: Add rotation offset to Array - blender - Blender Projects

We can easily do all of the array stuff with nodes, and also add things like random offsets and the like on top of that.

I can imagine at some point many of the modifiers will wind up being nodes under the hood, so I would be surprised if the patch is accepted.

1 Like

Anyone know if graft, weave, splice etc is on the radar for the devs yet? I just had need for in what Iā€™m currently doingā€¦

@eobet:
Do I understand correctly you want control over which component of a geometry has which index after joining geometry A and geometry B?
Iā€™m 90% sure this is not planned to be supported at all (like ever). Anyway, from my experience, the order of elements after the Join Geometry -node has to be considered arbitrary (and I believe it may even change upon file reloading).

If you really want to do this w.r.t. geometry, I advise you to put an ID on each element (of each input geometry and make some clever use of Sort Elements -node.

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Rejected about 2 hours after you posted because it doesnā€™t use nodes.

1 Like

I canā€™t wait until they get to where all tools are made of nodes,

Draw a curve on a surface ā†’ it applies a sculpt and draws a texture on a mesh in 1 action / controls subdivision ā†’ the curve can be moved along the surface ā†’ and left ā€˜stackedā€™ or be applied.

stacked strokes can be applied via animation also using a driver or the uv can be offset / animated in shot / game.

we need caching of some structures though that are not changing / base meshes bvhtree etc.
bvhtree caching can make a bunch of the FX people do here real time instead of a slide show.

please upvote*

We need caching. Full stop.
Let the user determine the rest.
Imagine Houdini, but without caching - itā€™s like gluing train-wagons onto a rocket and expecting it to fly.

Exactly.
Dumping stuff on disk (per frame) is an absolute necessity if you want to do anything getting near complex FX.

for realtime even - say we have a bunch of buildings - and water - and terrain and we want to make it snow using raycast and a sim - right now blender would rebuild bvhtree for all those meshes - even ones that did not change.

its like 400x faster for the first raycast for me in py doing it myself (caching bvhtree and re-using and using py to move vertex)

in the upbge fork I raycast every single frame for physics in py and its very smol cost.

rebuilding the bvhtree each frame is a huge cost.

An optimized bhvtree would produce an performance gain that high? Wow.
So this is one of those bottlenecks that REALLY slows Blender down.

From the rightclickselect link you posted:

each frame every raycast node right now will build a new bvhtree and never re-use it.

Why?
Not only is the way Blender handles bhv trees questionable, they create a lot more of these, and let them rot there in the scene?
:-1: