Geometry nodes: Is there a way to inset faces?

Maybe a trick to do so?

Use an Extrude Mesh followed by a Scale Elements with the Top output going into the Selection.

7 Likes

The problem with this solution is that it will not work as inset on elongated faces. I am slowly getting into geometry nodes. And the fact that there is no inset node was surprising.

You can check my node group that evenly offsets edges

8 Likes

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

@higgsas do you have a solution for uniform extrude?

I didn’t, it might possible in blender 3.4 with new topology nodes but not sure

Very nice! but sadly it only insets each face separately. Like for example if you have a grid and do inset on it. it can’t inset the whole grid as one. it will inset each face. is it possible to configure it to inset the whole geometry as one?

just uncheck “individual” on extrude node inside node group. It then insets whole grid. You have to uncheck even offset also.

very nice node group, thanks higgsas.

yes I tried that unfortunately it does not get the right result. It also does not work with the simple grid like yours. I’m using Blender 3.4 on Windows 7. So it is probably broken on the latest blender versions

Yes it’s the limitation of that node group, it should be possible to remake it in 3.4 with new topology nodes to work, but it’s a bit of work.

You can try do it with my Edge Offset node

edgeoff.blend (1.3 MB)

3 Likes

do you think you can add ‘reset’ uv cords from this?

the original edge to be extruded is 0,0 - 1,0 and the new edge added would be 0,1 - 1,1

I tried but its too complicated to make it work with most cases

Maybe try the bevel build

https://builder.blender.org/download/experimental/archive/blender-3.5.0-alpha+bevelv2.63e0bd1da62a-windows.amd64-release.zip

Hey thank you very much for your response very much appreciated.