Geometry Nodes

What you are doing is basically correct, you just need to move the vertices along the normals instead of the Z axis

(This does the same thing as your shader setup)

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Strike_Digital :slight_smile:
note that, i believe 3.0 is quite unstable with custom python node. I heard a lot of complaints. Not sure if extra node is affected

1 Like

How can I complete the revolution? I am starting with one curve, instancing it and rotating along the normals of curve points, however I am unable to get the last revolution between index -1 and index 0.

base case:

I have tried all kinds of ways and in the end,I can get the selection of the indices, but i cannot isolate the position of the first instance points. Whenever i try to isolate the position, once it goes into ā€œset positionā€, the list takes into account the whole input geometry. Again, really missing simple pythonic list comprehensions here (e.g. like Sverchokā€™s list nodes)

Tried:

1 Like

Hi dimitarsp,
Since the Mesh/Curve circle node doesnā€™t actually produce the full rotation, meaning that the position/location of points that are spawned only goes from 0 ā†’ ((2pi/number of points) x the index of the last point) instead of 0 ā†’ 2pi. So, instead of spawning the exact number of points that you want, youā€™d want to take the number of points that you want to have and either add 1 or subtract 1 from it and that should do the work. Then, you can use that number of points to re-calculate the correct position of your Mesh/Curve circle using Sine - Cosine. That way, the position of your first point and last point will be the same, thus allowing the revolution to be fully completed.

Hereā€™s the set-up.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I guess there is no easy way to add the first point back into the list, is there?

It works, and Iā€™ve made the curves rotate, but is there a way to specify the correct rotation when instancings as opposed to rotating the instances as I currently have done?

Canā€™t you duplicate the first instance?

Hey Silex, very impressed by your post on Nov 2, thank you for the node screenshot! Iā€™ve immediately tried to recreate them, down to the digits, but to not avail. Is there something Iā€™m missing?

edit: Here goes me trying to add a picture directly:

Hi @TomMaker, thanks.
Can you show how your modifiers tab looks with geometry nodes modifier opened? Please post a screenshot. Probably you didnā€™t named your attribute properly.

Also I assume you are using Blender 3.0? I made this with older Blender 3.0 alpha version and didnā€™t checked this scene with official release, so it is possible something broke along the way. Will need to check.

You can also embed images directly inside posts. Some external image sharing services can be shady or remove your images after some time which breaks the discussion for future readers.

1 Like

Wow, thank you very much for the fast answer!
I was coming here to say that I figured it out: as you say, input ā€œdistanceā€ in field Distance in the geonode modifier. I was wondering why the output in the geonode was Distance (with capital D) and the input in the shader was distance (with lowercase d).

Iā€™m a beginner in geonode and Blender in general, but your post might have given me a hint on how the reproduce Toros Kose video in Blender.

Again, many thanks, for the work and the help!

1 Like

I will post this link (from the original thread) in this thread as well for anyone reading here.

Couple of newbie questions

Is there anyway to store input data values from one node to use it onto another node without connecting lines? (like Houdini Bind)

The first small step towards the automation of animation and the eventual inclusion of solvers. The Time node.
:gear: D13455 Geometry Nodes: Scene Time Input Node - WIP (blender.org)

Not committed yet, what has been committed recently are field nodes that give you access to things like mesh islands, edge neighbors, topology data, ectā€¦

2 Likes

nevermind, I created a node, group it, deleted the node to keep the Group Input / Output, and it did the trick.

In addition, the other side of the instance coin, the Mesh to Instances node.
rB565b33c0ad31 (blender.org)

This essentially eliminates the need to have a standalone collection for your random instancing needs, the components can just be generated in the tree (which means we can do things like easily recreate the old Discombobulator addon, but non-destructively).

I donā€™t know what this is, but from the sound of it, it seems like something Iā€™d like to know about.

is an addon built-in in blender for creating procedural fake sci-fi sh*t xDā€¦

1 Like

The idea of greebles in general worked well for Star Wars though, where it fell down was that 2.49 did not have the concept of addons. 2.49 had scripts and you had to open a special window to use their interface.

It was also destructive, the very idea behind it should work so much better now (since both the base mesh and the shape sets will be fully parametric).

1 Like

I donā€™t understand the difference between this and a join geometry node ? the instance to points node already turns geometry into instances

Iā€™m very noob on GeomNodes and Iā€™d like to simple scatter objects and using another object(or objects) as mask.
Iā€™ve tried to search something usefull here and seems that ā€œproximityā€ node should be the useful node to use but it seens that after the field change, proximity works differently, at least itā€™s like Iā€™ve understood.
Have a you a simple setup to show me or a suggestion to drive me in the right way?
Thanks in advance