Geometry Nodes

“You can use the attribute proximity node on that line segment. You’ll need to isolate your point by separating it from the rest of the geometry in some way (point separate)”

This worked perfectly, thank you.

What do you mean, perpendicularly ? Perpendicularly to what ?

Sorry about that. English is not my first language and sometimes I have difficulties expressing myself. The image below illustrates what I am trying to say: if the point “P” is between the endpoints of the segment (“S1” and “S2”), then the distance to the segment is the length of the segment “d” that goes from “P” to the segment “S” and hits it perpendicularly, as shown.

But it doesn’t matter: the proximity node solved my problem quite nicely and quite easily. Thanks!

I have a quick question. I have a plant that I’m making using geometry nodes, and the point distribute node on it has a seed value. I then instance these plants onto a plane. Is there a way to get the seed value to be different for each point?

Oh ok I see. Well I’m glad it worked

Absolutely no problem ! we’re in the same boat :wink:

Cheers,

Hadrien

The seed value just controls the distribution. What are you trying to do ?

I have the seed value randomize the placement of the leaves on the stalk.

And I was just wondering if there was a way to have a different seed value for every instance plant so that they aren’t all identical.

I like to make like 10 random float nodes, run the output into the seed of the next, and then feed a different one into each of my seeds. You can then use the seed of the first one.

Make sure to set them to a high maximum, because floats are rounded when converted to integers. You want a large range of seeds.

Edit: I looked again and realized what you mean. To do this, make a collection, make a bunch of plants with different seeds and instance the collection. When I am instancing then anyway, and the location does not matter, I like to use the relative distance between it and an empty. Then you can just duplicate them and automatically have a different seed.

Is it possible to get custom vertex data as attributes? Like the radius that skin modifier generates for each vertex or bevel weight?

Ok, I was hoping there was a better way but that works. Thank you!

Is there a way to duplicate each one with a different seed value without each one needing a different node tree?

Try MagicaCSG, is unmatched about usability and creation speed.

Your Blender video shows how it is a shore to create and modify simple primitives, and the resolution is really bad to stay usable in Blender without lag.

Just try MagicaCSG.
You create, duplicate, modify primitives in some clicks, resolution is lot better and all stays fast.
Interface is simple, clear and made to be maximum efficient.

1 Like

You can make the seed a per-object property by connecting it to the group input. Then you set it for each object in the modifier stack.

Oh ya, I forgot that you can change the input in the modifier stack. Thanks!

… they were joking.

4 Likes

Is there is any way to use the vertex positions given in the spreadsheet to move the vertices individually?

Sure, what do you want to do?

Haha it was just a joke, I have used MagicaCSG and know its power. The demo is also a proof of concept what you can do with the current implementation of Geometry nodes. I will release the .blend soon after ironing out some inefficiecies.

1 Like

I want to take the vector position of an individual vertex to move it, I’ve been looking around for a while and I can’t find out how to do it

1 Like

No its currently not not possible to edit data through the spreadsheet “editor”, though it is expected to be implemented soon

1 Like

Ok thank you, I would find that very useful

1 Like

this might be useful BagaPie Modifier - Free addon

1 Like