GFX cards and power costs

I read a post here Why the benchmark of 3090 Ti is lower than 3090? ppl talking about >1K power supplies for their gfx cards i just got a question to satisfy my curosity:

Did ppl who make 3d art for a living track your power consumtion and costs for the work you do and put them on top of your bill for the customer?

Also would it not be cheaper to run two smaller gfx cards which could render at the same speed as one high end card, but with lower power costs?

Some info from a website about the consumption.

Here is our power supply recommendation:

GeForce RTX 3050 - On your average system, we recommend a 500 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3060 - On your average system, we recommend a 500/550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - On your average system, we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3070 - On your average system, we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3080 - On your average system, we recommend a 650 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3090 - On your average system, we recommend a 750 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce RTX 3090 Ti - On your average system, we recommend an 850~1000 Watt power supply unit.
If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, we recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. There are many good PSUs out there; please do have a look at our many PSU reviews as we have a lot of recommended PSUs for you to check out in there. Let's move to the next page, where we'll look into GPU heat levels and noise levels coming from this graphics card.

Now imagine if you need about 500-800 WATT of GPU consumption, if you have a beefy CPU, if you have 6 hard disks, if you have a dozen of various USB devices or something… More or less you would you say to go for a 1500 or 2000 of power supply just to be safe? 2000 WATT which is more or less same as your kitchen oven, but running for 10 hours a day!!! :sweat_smile:
[ Don’t even count about other devices (minimum amount) you need to support your workflow, such as dual monitor setup, air conditioner, etc… ]

This is why here I make a good rant about the state of GPU technology:

After a so many WATT you just stop counting, same as people say about aging and stuff.

1 Like

This might be a US exclusive thing, but power is insanely cheap… with four computers in my house on pretty much all the time, AC/heating, washer/dryer/dishwasher/oven/etc, a Wii, and a Switch, we usually pay under 50 dollars a month

1 Like

It’s never added enough to my power bill that I even take note of it.

1 Like

Sadly, I can assure you, it’s a US thing (maybe not totally just US, but far from the normal in some other parts of the world).

1 Like

Didnt know the difference is so high, over 50% more here in germany than the the US.

But still how can you pay only 50$ per month with house and family to my single house hold without AC/dishwasher/cloth dryer so less, but iam with ~30€ and still 8 hours away to work, and one >10 year old pc with 250Watt supply :smiley:
I have to check this some stealing power or i have a broken consumer somewhere :thinking:

2 Likes

those power supply recommendations always are a bit exaggerated. the calculators often are by power supply companies who want to sell you the bigger one.

and when using blender the GPU never consumes the maximum TDP anyways. it doesn’t use all kinds of computation units it has at the same time.

but of course you should bill the customer for that. :slight_smile: i have a power meter and observe consumption during rendering.

It helps that I live in deep oil territory - power is insanely cheap down here. Not really happy about the “why”, but what can you do

1 Like

If you are really curious, you can purchase a “Kill-a-Watt” meter of some kind and plug your computer into it to see how much power it’s using. Some of these meters will convert the power usage into currency as well if you plugin your rate.

Deep oil territory!
Hope you didnt get gas and electricity from you water tap for free too.