Gift of Nature - Animated Short Film

1-2 years ago creating such a film wouldn’t be possible for me. Render time alone would be several times longer and shading and lighting were much more difficult. The rapid software and hardware progression is something that scares me a bit. Maybe in a few years, AI will be able to generate a complete render like this in several minutes, instantly retopo, rig, and maybe even animate characters. By then no one would be impressed at seeing today’s CGI.

well worries like that reach back to when people invented newspapers, that then noone communicates with their families and the world will end because of it :smiley: With every new development comes new jobs and challanges :wink:

1 Like

Really nice work…

Congratulations…

Very Very happy to see such fantastic works using blender, and that I’m also familiar with at least the interface of this wonderful tool…
Thanks Blender team…

1 Like

lol wut . -

Wonderful piece! That opening shot is a joy to watch. I’ll also second the above poster when saying I thought the mouth animation and matching was excellent. Well done.

I’d love to know how to added the godrays in the compositor and controlled them. Any chance you could show a screenshot of the node set up?

1 Like

001A_comp.blend (169.4 KB)

You probably can get more information from the blend file. However I won’t upload the needed to preview EXR.

The godrays are in the “fake volume” group.
The camera animation is attached from an animation file to gets it’s Z rotation and used by nodes via driver. Godrays relay mostly on the Mist Pass and to make this setup work the Mist Pass must be set to linear in the rendering file.

1 Like

Thanks man. Wonderful stuff.

1 Like

Fabulous work! The result was worth months of intense work. Keep it up! :+1:

1 Like

outstanding work. It is artists like you that teach me more and more to improve my videos. I look forward to your next.

1 Like

There is a distributed rendering website for Blender called SheepIt. Unless your files are larger than 500mb or render times longer than 2 hours on your machine, you can add projects to render at the cost of using your PC or GPU to render other people’s projects on the site. If you render for 1 minute, you get 15 points * the power of your machine compared to the default. For someone else to render your project, it will cost you 3 points a minute. I would really recommend using this site, as I had a 6-minute long short film rendered in 2 days, that would have taken me 110 days instead!

1 Like

This is amazing work. I didn’t know that baby mushrooms could be so cute. Nice message as well. Beautiful little film!

1 Like

Lol! Great work!!! The realistic nature and animation is amazing! Love the little mushroom baby. Hes so cute!

1 Like

Im aware of sheep it. Ive used it on other projects. :slight_smile: howecer in this one production files were way too big to upload and this renderfarm doesn’t allow to run scripts.

I am really impressed - great job! As a Blender animation beginner (also from Poland btw; pozdrawiam panie Jerzy! :slight_smile: ) it’s absolutely cool to see things like that done in Blender. I see how much work still I need and it’s encouraging and pretty sad at the same time :smiley: But hey, I’m just 17 years old! And now there’s a question: how long have you been learning Blender to learn all of these crazy stuff? I’m just impatient about my trash works :stuck_out_tongue: Have a nice day!

1 Like

When I was 17 I didn’t know there is such a thing as Blender and I didn’t know anything about 3D Graphics :smiley:

I’ve started somewhere around 2012 learning the basics of Blender to set up primitive shapes in space to cheat perspective for 2D drawings. Then I used it even more for Graphic Design and mockups. It was always like “Ok, I know some 3D stuff, let’s learn some stuff more and I will be able to make this” In the meantime, (around 2016) I was creating simple 2D short films, and when I was about to make a new one I’ve decided to make it in 3D as it seemed more fun. My 3D skills were basics at the time, but with the help of many hours of tutorials I’ve been able to create my first 3D film in 2018 [link, if you are interested]

It was supposed to be a few sentences about when I’ve started, but ended up as a biography.

Keep in mind that It’s not the software knowledge that make good art. Only when I had already more or less artistic skills to be able to tell what looks goods or what looks bad and why. I was able to pursue the vision of the images I had in my mind and learn new things to reach that goal. Storytelling and filmmaking skills are useful too :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for such a nice reply - I like your biography haha
I’m going to practice more with tutorials - it’s quite boring, but worth it :slight_smile:
Good luck with all your future projects, can’t wait to see them!

I don’t know if this applies in your case but in my case of long render times i found that if you are using anti-alias use as low of a setting as you can. I found quality wise no difference between the settings but render times were much difference . I shaved off two minutes of rendering time per frame.

Are you sure you are talking about cycles?
There is no anti-aliasing setting for cycles except for the grease pencil threshold.
Or am I missing something?

my bad…,not cycles…blender engine. cycles for me can take days of render time so i quite using cycles.

love it :heart_eyes:

1 Like