Glassware and related shaders

I started modeling some glassware in Blender to explore modeling different shapes. Glassware is something that looks pretty simple, but with the addition of glass shaders, it isn’t very forgiving and can point out all kinds of modeling or geometric flaws.

And since empty glasses aren’t nearly as impressive as they are when they’re filled with stuff, I went down the procedural material-making rabbit hole again, too.

It’s easy to lose many hours in a day (or night) that way simply tweaking stuff.

Especially true when trying to create a convincing ice shader.

*I’ve also been working on a glass marble related shader.

19 Likes

Nice, those glasses look really awesome!

And good work on the ice cubes, they actually look like ice cubes and not like glass cubes.

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

Ah, thanks! Yeah, ice was another rabbit hole I went down. Realistic looking ice is a tough one. These are aided by particle air bubbles, so it isn’t just a surface shader. I have a newer version of ice that uses geometry nodes instances in volume for bubbles… but it actually seems like the particles version is easier to control the values/results. I need to do more testing.

1 Like

Thanks! And it says this was the first time you posted. I’m honored!

Really beautiful.

1 Like

That looks great! Well done!

1 Like

You may be interested in the experiments I did with ice recently. :slight_smile: I think your comment is what made me do it.

2 Likes