Graphics card

Where do i look in my computer to see which one i have?
Whats a good AND cheap card?

a good card: nvidia 6600 128mb. and it’s quite cheap now, but I don’t really how much.

Yeah i was looking at that one, But how can i tell which one i already have?

right click on your windows desktop, propriety, parameter, and it’s written there I think.

Display:
PLug-and-Play monitor on NVDIA GeForce 6600

Thank you, is this any good or is it a piece of crap:
intel® 82810E Graphics controller

Well I had that one in my old P3 comp. Worked very well if didn´t install new drivers and only ran at 16 bit colour mode. So if you only want to blend thats enough.

yup thats crap

=D

but obviously thats what came with the, im guessing crappy computer as well?

it looks like ati is having some financial problems, and it looks like nvidea is doing quit well. No specific video card to offer. Important piece of information i learned, never get the best card thats currently on the market, always get the one maybe 2 or 3 steps below it. The price difference of it is drastic, and in 6 months, that top of the line graphics card is much cheaper.

always with nvidia for me

got a 5200 right now and a friends sending me a 5700LE 256mb so i cant wait for that. nvidia has always been good for me so im recomending them.

my comp runs fine for blending i think im going to start gaming. Even for BlenderGE it is really choppy though.

EDIT: [3d labz] the cards are used by my friend for open GL purposes “rendering” was a term he used

This is nice for renders. My frend uses two of them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814124115

EDIT: This is what i use myself with to 512 mb memory sticks [cosair]
or you can get this cool pack.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1601014&CatId=0

but dont listen to me im a nut when it comes to big things %|

I’m pretty sure you don’t render with your Graphics Card, it is only used for the realtime OpenGL stuff.

Thank you, is this any good or is it a piece of crap:
intel(r) 82810E Graphics controller

that means that you dont actually have a graphics card, but your motherboard has integrated graphics. before you spend the $$ on a card, i would suggest seeing which type(s) of bus’ you have on your motherboard. if you have PCI you will be severely limited to your options (i have a geforce 5200 that works fine for the $100 i payed for it). and if your going to start gaming, i would suggest seeing how much RAM you currently have, and upgrade it to 512 MB at least (that is, if you dont already have that much).

edit: this also belongs in the off-topic section, i do believe :smiley:

i already know about RAM i have 128 or whatever.

if you read the stuff after news and chat. it says COMPUTER GRAPHICS.
dont mean to be smart but…

ram will boost your render speed and computer speed in general. 512 is i think a minum for working or else windows will use your hdd for swap and thats slow. molasses in january slow. (if your from some hot climate area that doesnt mean much to you)

ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card (AR)

ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256MB PCI-Express Graphics Card (AR)

Whats the difference for these two?Are they good ones too,which one is better?

the PCI express is beter, but you need a PCI express compatible motherboard (which im pretty sure you dont)

i’d also consider going for nVidia, merely for compatability bonuses, i’ve only had trouble with radeons…

Okay, im 14 years old, i dont have a job till summer and i have like 300 bucks. with that infowhich should i get. these are for black friday sale.

Best Buy
3DFuzion GeForce MX 4000 128MB DDR PCI Graphics Card (AR) $29.99
ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card (AR) $99.99
ATi Radeon X700 Pro 256MB PCI-Express Graphics Card (AR) $99.99

CompUSA
ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Graphics Card (AR) $59.99
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP Graphics Card (AR) $59.99
ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card $199.99
Video Grabber USB 2.0 Graphics Card $29.99

Well, the first thing to do would be to find out if you have an AGP slot available (I’m assuming you don’t have a PCI-Express slot, I think someone else said that too). You could either A) Tell us what motherboard you have, or B) If you bought a computer from a company such as Dell or HP, tell us the model of your computer.

After you have determined if you have an AGP slot, you can then decide what graphics card to buy. Since you are apparently only buying from the stores you listed, I would go with the Radeon X700 Pro AGP card if you do indeed have an AGP slot. If your computer is crap and doesn’t have an AGP slot, then I would probably go with the Geforce MX 4000.

By the way, does anyone know if the new ATi cards still have problems with Blender? Or are they just slower in OpenGL applications?

Oh, and if you don’t have an AGP slot, I would wait for the Geforce 6200 PCI. Does anyone know if that’s in stores yet? I can’t seem to find the page for it. I think it was made by 3d Fuzion or something. (Yes, it does exist, I’m still looking for it though).

First of all, you are going to need to know if you have a PCI, AGP, or PCI-e bus. This means that your going to have to (carefully) open up your case and physically look at your motherboard.

Your going to be pissed if you buy a $200 card and have nowhere to put it.

And a new graphics card isn’t going to do crap without, at very least, 256 mb of RAM.

For about $300 you can upgrade your system to 512 mb RAM and a geforce 5200 PCI card, which will let you run most games at medium to low settings

I guess it was all said by the others. :expressionless: