Graswald - News and Work in Progress

Those rocks look pretty darned good. :slight_smile:

A fabulous looking pack!

Thank you very much guys, I really appreciate your support :smiley:

@Color.pixel : What do you mean by vivid grass?

EDIT: The render of the newest Quackgrass prototype just finished:

This features only 2 different models and no color variants at all. Still looks pretty decent to me, but what do you think?

1 Like

So here’s another test render with 5 model variants and the second ground material featured in the pack:

Not a very good lighting, but it shows very well the difference. These are the summer/winter variants.

Because of a smart node group, you can simply change the value for the season, which means 0=spring, 0.5=summer and 1=winter. Of course you can type number between those values to get the effect ou want :wink:

1 Like

The update for the quakgrass looks good , nice idea for the spring / summer/winter :eyebrowlift2:

Wow the transition looks great. Can be animated to be more fluid? This is amazing stuff. Congrats mate!!!

*Vivid meaning spring time. That full of life green. The dark green is more for summer.

Yep, I have that included :smiley: Btw, if someone could help me with this, I would very much appreciate it: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?413053-Baking-Problems&p=3134861#post3134861

So the Quackgrass will probably have to particle systems, Big and small. This is the small Quackgrass, perfect for lawns:

This render uses 3 model variants only, the final version will have 9, though!

Just a small test for the new color variation/dead patches tools. Notice, that the grass used is the quackgrass small and big, which is not supposed to be used as lawn grass originally :wink:

Hope you like it. Critics appreciated as always!

Incredible and look so realistic nature as it supppose to…

Just finished two of the featured ground materials:

Thought I might post this here, too, as it’s where it belongs. I made a test render to see how useful the assets in general are and made this render:

Wow ! this is really high quality stuff !
Keep up the good work.

I like the way you present your work. Realy good work.

So I just wanted to clarify the current features that my plant shader has/ the options, that it allows you to tweak. I want these plants to look good for both, close ups and distance shots, so some of these controls might be unnecessary for some purposes, but might become useful for others. The standard plant shader like the one I used for the plantain in the render above has these options:

Color:

• Seasons
  • Single leaf variation
  • Overall randomness
  • Ambient Occlusion intensity
  • Hue
  • Saturation
  • Value
  • Contrast

Bump:

• Normal Map intensity (For large bump effect)

• Bump Map intensity (For small bump effect)

• Translucency Intensity

• Wetness

• Roughness

• Reflection Intensity

The grass shader will also have a dead patches option with different settings, a stripes option and an overall freshness option. If you increase it, the leaves turn dry one after the other, so if you have it at .2, you might have 2 dry leaves per plant, if you change it to .6 you might have 5-7 dry leaves per plant, so you don’t get those unnatural smooth transitions.

Here’s the node tree for you, everything that’s green will probably be reacheable when selecting the plant in the toolbar of the 3d window, once the add on is programmed:

Btw. if you know which IOR value I should use for the different objects (plants, rocks, dirt) I would appreciate it if you’d tell me, because I have no idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Use 1.45 for everything non glass, non gem, non topcoat, and non liquid, and you should be safe. If your leaves are single sided, you either need to make sure normal is handled equally if using fresnel, or use layer weight facing instead. So, invert the IOR for backfacing faces. You may want to check out this thread which may have some special purpose shading tricks I sometimes use:

Yeah, I had that kind of problem too, but I fixed it with a very nice solution IMO. Thanks for the advice, though, I’m gonna play around with it!

Added the stripes effect:

This is the first lawn grass species, the kentucky bluegrass! I hope you like it :wink:

1 Like

So today I implemeted another feature: dryness!

Dryness works for each plant individually, and for each leaf, too. When you increase the dryness factor, one after another, the leafs get dry. This avoids the unrealistic approach of having weird smooth transitions between green and brown. When combining these with the other possible influences (seasons, dead patches, stripes, etc.) you get endless possibilities:

This example shows a dryness value of 0.2, in combination with a very late fall look. Stripes are enabled, too, as well as some very small dead patches! If you zoom in, you can see the different dry leaves.

But you can also just create a very dry lawn by changing the dryness to 1:

And the best thing: There is only one single material used for all of these effectts, so that every plant species only has their one single material, which makes everything a lot more easy and also saves memory.

1 Like