Grid Modeler - draw on grids => mesh

Thank you :wink:

Recent experiments :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very nice, you experimenting new features :wink:

I am developing new feature, but this model is created using existing functions :smile:

2 Likes

Nice I can’t wait :slight_smile:

Version 1.9.6 update released !! :smiley:

• Now P key (plane rotation) works directly! (with no alignment edge too)
  • Construction line cut now have “split geometry” option!!
  • Auto recalculate face normal now work in edge mode and vert mode too!
    Enjoy !!

w52

w53

7 Likes

Cool :slight_smile: there is a way to auto cap split geometry ? (i know it’s a split op ) :slight_smile: line split it’s always base on view, for project I imagine ?, can we fix it on grid position ( I like to turn around before validate without comeback to ortho view ) anyway I already test split geo and I love it :slight_smile:

I tried to cap split geometry, but I found that blender’s face-fill function is very buggy… just like if you have a hole with non-planar shape and you press F key, you will have a wrong face :sweat_smile:

The view <= it is the limitation of blender’s project knife function… :innocent:

1 Like

Yeah, make sens, keep doing your good stuffs :wink:

1 Like

It would be good to have an option for splitting the object in solid chunks but, anyway, it can be done by producing faces (with the use of Grid modeler), extruding them and making slices with the bool tool. It requires a little bit manual work but it makes the work.

2 Likes

How many steps and how long time will it take to make the slices? I don’t know if Grid Modeler should solve everything by itself, but I would not mind more plugins to do specific things to speed up modeling.

1 Like

You mean boolean-slice, use boolean to slice object into solid pieces. Yes, it would be more solid than current geometry-knife-split method (in fact, both of methods are useful), I will consider that. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Any news for curves in Gridmodelr ?

Thanks Kushiro, having such an option could be very useful. The model below has been made by cutting a sphere successively to solid chunks and making some further boolean operations (with the aid of Grid modeler). As it is evident, having a way to cut an object easily in solid chunks could help very much in hard surface modeling tasks.

5 Likes

It is a planned feature, but not in recent update yet

Wow !! Fatesailor your texturing is so cool… I love it :smiley:
Yes, I agree that boolean is important :relieved:
Don’t worry, I will work on it!

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I found a bug in Grid Modeler and would like to give feedback.
After starting Grid Modeler, if you execute the view3d.view_axis related functions, this error forces Grid Modeler to cancel due to an error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py”, line 2835, in modal
p = func(context, event)
File “C:\~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py”, line 2599, in overall
self.snap_to_grid(context, event)
File “C:\~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py”, line 2146, in snap_to_grid
loc = self.calc_pos(context, event)
File “C:\~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py”, line 3037, in calc_pos
s1 = sn.dot(w) * -1 / sn.dot(u)
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

PS: Ver. of Grid Modeler is 1.9.6.

Thank you for reporting !
But what do you mean “execute the view3d.view_axis related functions” ?

Do you mean when you are using Grid Modeler, at the same time you execute other tools ?
If it is the case, it will definitely cause problem, because the calculation will be incorrect if the blender status was modified unexpectedly. I can do nothing to prevent it.

view3d.view_axis is the execution of bpy.ops.view3d.view_axis() “View Axis”, which means that when you adjust the view to the TOP, BOTTOM, RIGHT, or LEFT axis, it is canceled due to the error above. :sweat_smile: