Grid Modeler - draw on grids => mesh

For exact solver, yes I did recalculate normal outside for the temp cutter mesh.
However, Exact solver is buggy and it does not handle overlapping face correctly.
It is not caused by incorrect normal.

I confirmed and it is its bad design of the solver itself.

I tested the boolean solvers without addon, in default blender environment manually, I tested its boolean performance for different cases, and it failed a lot.

Oh, what do you mean by “solution” ? (I don’t understand what are you referring to).

But as I explained, I am not going to add your requested option, because I don’t want to confuse users. Most of the users use the boolean cut happily without problem, so I will not change the code for now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I am getting a lot of errors too now that I am playing around with the exact solver, can’t belive I haven’t ran into all this before.

By “solution” I just meant a way to get the presision I want, I think I have found where I need to make change, but ofcourse it is your add-on so it is up too you what you want to add :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it working :smiley: sooo sorry for all the bother, but I would not hassle you so much if I did not think this was a great add-on in the first place :slight_smile: Thank you so much for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem :innocent: you are welcome!

1 Like

Grid Modeler Update 1.22.0, 1.22.1, 1.22.2 :slightly_smiling_face:
This is a major update :

• Now Grid Modeler is compatible to blender’s “Industry Compatible” keymap ! (aka Maya keymap). Now if you use Maya keymap, you can hold Alt key to rotate the viewport without problem !

• Add a new “Global Alignment” mode ! (F6 key)

When using Global Alignment, the grids will be aligned to the global axis instead of face.

(if the face is not facing any axis, it will has no effect)

It can be very useful for scene modeling task.

Enjoy! :smile:

12 Likes

Awesome! We’ve got face alignment and now global alignment. Perhaps local space alignment in a future update? This plugin is bringing us much nearer to Modo grid functionality :wink:

1 Like

In fact, the global alignment is “local space” :sweat_smile: It is not using “world” space.
I considered to use the name “local alignment” but it will confuse some users. :slightly_smiling_face:

I didn’t use Modo, so I didn’t know if they are similar. But I am designing Grid Modeler by my own needs :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah, so it is “local space” - even better.

Personally, I would think that your original notion to label this using “local alignment” terminology makes more sense because… well, that’s exactly what it is. Imo, the only people who would be confused by using the correct terminology would be beginners to 3D concepts, and arguably they are the ones most in need of being presented with the correct concepts as they learn.

Tiny feature request: in an upcoming update, do you think you might be able to add this hotkey (F6) to the Grid Modeler hotkeys popup display, or the quick help menu, as a reminder?

2 Likes

Oh I should add it ! (sorry I forgot :slightly_smiling_face:)
I will add it next time!

1 Like

:smile:

4 Likes

Is this a new version of your shader or did you combine it with some other shading too?

1 Like

Just my Edge-AO shader combine with a simple noise shader ! :smile:

1 Like

Grid Modeler update 1.23.0:
This is a major update !

• Now the grid system is improved. The grid plane does not shift when resized / grids count changed !

• Grid plane is auto centered now!

gm1.23.0

Enjoy :smile:

13 Likes

Hi kushiro, I just came back from vacation the last 2 updates are amazing, there is a reason not to set Global Alignment by default because it looks better right ? I’m probably missing something :slight_smile: anyway congrats and thank to keep GM on the top.

1 Like

Global Alignment is useful, but it is not good for all cases.
The latest update (auto center grid plane) is exact “contrast” of global alignment. :smile:
Grids should be aligned to the selected face, not the global grid position, otherwise the grids are “shifted” and not useful for modeling, IMO.

3 Likes

Adding the new grid alignment was an essential move! Having the grid there, centered exactly on the selected face, makes things so precise and easy!

Bravo Kushiro! GM rocks! :smiley:

2 Likes

After update to latest version 2 problems arised… reporting:

• “mouse wheel” replacement keys modifiers are partially not working - Ctrl ‘[’ / Ctrl ‘]’ works well, but Alt ‘[’ / Alt ‘]’ do not // Hence there is no way to “extend” grid for us, magic-mouse users without regular wheel. Is there another way to do so?

• Another thing - when pressing P key, the size of grid is changed according to some rules. It is confusing, since there is no visual glues for this on non-face-aligned grid. Combining with problem above some tasks are not possible to do as easy as before (press P → grid rotates and shrinks → no way to extend it back)

Update 1.24.2 is released :slightly_smiling_face: it fixed two problems ,

• Alt key + mac key problem
  • 5 key (Boolean slicing) problem.

About P key, is it a new bug or design problem existed long time ?

2 Likes
  • Alt key + mac key problem

Thanks! Works like a charm now :slight_smile:

Regarding P - more like design problem, seems like grid is adopting size of corresponding face in some direction and when face is not square-like (take a lengthy triangle, for example) this jumps in size are significant. But its not a problem when you can adjust size again (Alt-scroll). But size jumps still looks somewhat “strange”

Just a suggestion - May be its possible to compare grid after rotation and leave the biggest of two. So, if starting orientation was taken on short edge - it would lock to bigger size on P-rotation and not fallback to small one. In terms of usability this would help in some cases, imho

Another minor usability thing with rotations - ctrl-clicking on edge to set “green line” when P-rotation was done already at least once. Expectation is ctrl-click will pick edge on initial face (despite of rotation), but click getting some random side of the grid, not edge, so it is easier to restart GridModeller to get proper orientation from start (which is not a problem anyway :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Oh I see ! I didn’t notice this problem before :slightly_smiling_face:
The grid plane size is strange… I will try to fix it

2 Likes