Grungit : 1-click wear and tear for Blender

More information on BlenderMarket https://blendermarket.com/products/grungit

What is Grungit?

Grungit is an addon that automatically and effortlessly adds wear and tear to your models with a single click. The result is fully controllable and can deliver anything from imperfections and light wear to heavy damage.

Why Grungit?

Unlike other methods, Grungit has very little impact on performance and it’s fully compatible with EEVEE, but surely the most important benefit is the considerable amount of precious time it saves.

The main goal of Grungit is to assist you, not to dictate a specific style that might not suit your needs, and it doesn’t impact your workflow. That makes it very versatile and can deliver all kinds of results : You can use it to add subtle surface imperfections to give your renders an additional layer of realism, or you can make a painted surface for a machine with a lot of grunge, scratches and dirt.

Grungit is a result of over a month of work and went over several iterations and adjustments, and then it was used and tested by several artists. After listening to feedback, I improved the quality of the results delivered by Grungit, and I fixed the reported issues and bugs. There are several features and improvements planned for future updates, so make sure to grab a copy and you will have access to all future updates for free, even when the price eventually increases.

What are the benefits of Grungit?

• High quality e dge wear, grunge, and dirt with a single click of a button

• Compatible with EEVEE

• Simple And Fast

• 1-Click PBR baking

• Fully Customizable

• Full PBR

• Topology-independent

• Keeps existing materials and works with add-ons that use the Principled BSDF node.

• advanced mode for more manual control

• Manual hand-painting to add or remove grunge and/or dirt

• Quick mode (no edge wear, useful to add imperfections and uniform wear)

• Supports multiple objects and multiple materials

• Animatable and adjustable in real-time

• Fast render times

• Auto-unwrapping

Roadmap

Grungit is an ongoing project and I’m working on improving it even more. There are several planned features and improvements, some of them are :

Multi-material and Multi-object support (added)

Add oil leaks, paint splatter, leaks and similar effects.

Improve grunge (added)

Improve dust (added)

1-click PBR baking (added)

Your feedback is important, if you have any feature to suggest or a bug to report, or you want to have more information or get support then please get in touch, I read and reply to every message.

12 Likes

the V1.3 update focuses on the dirt layer. The dirt node in the previous version was basic and not very controllable, and the result was decent in some cases but it was not good enough. I recreated the node from scratch and made significant improvements to it, you can see the some examples in the pictures below.

6 Likes

Bought it just now! Great addon. Something that I was looking for.
Super cool that it keeps my default nodes.

Is there any way to add “Edge wear details” slider so I can have control also over cavity?

Thank you for your interest and for your kind words!

Is this something “scale factor” could do? (you have to click on “grungit” again after changing it)

1 Like

A MAC-10, textured with grungit
It took me only 4 minutes to add and configure the (exaggerated) effect, what a huge time saver!

Video recording :

2 Likes

Added cracks and support for clearcoat materials in V1.4.2_Experimental and you can get it from BlenderMarket
Things might change a bit, hence the “experimental” part

1 Like

I applied Grungit to my old model of Iron Man Mark 17.
Before

After

5 Likes

First of all - great Addon!! Very helpful, thank you!

About your Iron Man model: Did you have several material slots on the meshes? Does this work with the latest version?
(I just tried it once, and it did not work. Which was a bit of a bummer as most of my objects have several material slots.)

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad to hear you like it!

It’s one mesh with vertex colors and a single material.
Support for multiple materials is coming soon though!

Great! Looking forwards to it! :smiley:
Any idea when this will happen?

Not sure, but I’ll try to finish it this week!

:smiley: Super!

1 Like

Having a good and easy way of applying dirt and decay masks in Blender’s shading is something much needed. So, hearing news for such an add-on is great! I have some questions however:

1. Does the edge shading works independently of the density of the mesh? Because as all we know, the pointiness feature in shading does not give good results in low poly meshes. So if the add-on makes use of this feature it will have a problem with applying its effects successfully on low poly objects.

2. Does the add-on have a way of working separately on concave and convex edges on the same object? Such a thing is very important for producing ‘dirt’ and ‘decay’ separately on the same object (as we know dirt accumulates in concave edges and areas and decay in convex ones).

3. How does the edge shading behave in beveled edges? Does the effect cover the middle area of the bevel too? I am asking this because there have been many tries to produce an efficient edge shading in the past but they had this problem: in edges having beveled geometry they were giving unsatisfactory results. And again, as all we know beveling the edges of objects is a necessary thing for conveying realism.

I’m glad to hear you’re interested!
To answer your questions :

1. Yes, it doesn’t matter if you use N-gons, subdivision surface or any other modelling technique. However you need to apply some destructive modifiers that mess up the UV’s like Booleans.
  2. There is a parameter called “occlusion” in the nodes that “protects” the areas that are hard to reach.

As for the dust/dirt, it has many parameters and AO is one of them
  3. It works as expected in most cases with the default settings, but sometimes the middle parts of the bevels do remain clean when the “scale factor” is too low and the bevels are large. You only need to increase the “scale factor” and try again. (it will get improved even more in the future).

I hope this answers your questions

2 Likes

Very detailed answers! Thanks a lot! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Little update: managed to make it work with objects that have several materials!
I will fix a few bugs and limitations first then I will push the update to BlenderMarket/Gumroad

Grungit has been updated to 1.5 and it’s available on BlenderMarket!
The new features :

• Supporting objects that have multiple materials, a feature that has been often requested. Now you only need to click “apply grungit” once and you don’t need to merge the materials. (Applying Grungit in bulk will be added in the coming versions)
  • Improved edge wear quality, it’s easier to control and works well by default
  • Quality adjustments
  • “(Re)create UV maps” now packs faces that share the same material (default behavior)

@Fatesailor @JollyJumper

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, mate! :grin: :pray:

1 Like

Any tips on applying grungeit to large scale models? Would it even be appropriate?

It scales automatically and it works in most cases, but you might need to adjust “scale factor” and try again