GYAZ Export Tools (Seamless Blender To Unreal/Unity (FBX))

Only Static Mesh morphs are limited in UE4, for Skeletal Meshes they are unlimited. That part about the addon documentation is for Static Mesh Morph Targets only, so it doesn’t concern characters.

You need to do two things:

• Check Shape Keys in the addon export settings
  • Check Morph Targets in the UE4 Import settings

And now - to add some value! I think i have a few ideas…

When looking at the MB-Lab/Face expressions I see that we can add these as key-frames - I imagine that it would be relatively easy to build one long animation with one expression pr. frame - and then you could probably UR4-blend/combine your way to most expressions needed! (I guess that that is how speech animations are synchronized) I think there is a Blender add on for speech sync. also.

However i saw that UR4 will already support something; much like this, https://youtu.be/nkFaHyqvK4w?t=1138 - and I made an recording-function for the face pose, building on the tutorial on morphs.

1 Like

I got this, but still not 100% each time… if I forget some check off and hit export it seems like the hierarchy is sometimes corrupted.

Any ways, I now got both the full skeleton and morphs working…, so I will look into how to re-target the skeletons. Will soon upload my version of the project from this: https://api.unrealengine.com/INT/Videos/PLZlv_N0_O1ga0aV9jVqJgog0VWz1cLL5f/5wWGaJL_Q_8/index.html

I still get some strange results, but perhaps I found a workaround solution. First I have to go to the pose property to get to view and then select view and parent the mesh to the bones/armature… but when I export, i still get this strange message saying something about a wrong context. My guess is that what needs to be done has to be done in some very specific sequence, say the blender file has to be saved before i generate or that the “finalize” needs to run at some specific point in the process… - but the entire process for MB-lab is “strange” (possibly not, if you are used to Blender?).

HOWEVER I can press ctrl-z and revert, and then I can make an normal FBX export, and the results appears to be the same? I guess that some of the work your add-on does…

As for the Mesh export - I can get it to export textures to folder, but nothing happens regarding LOD. Even when I tried to click off LOD only nothing happens there…

Send me the blend file that gives you this error.

As for LODs, LOD objects should have a _LOD1, _LOD2… suffix in their name to be recognized by the exporter. E.g.: Object, Object_LOD1, Object_LOD2. But this all in the tooltip.

1 Like

this is the link for the blend file http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=51375

Regarding the LOD, what “objects” are we talking about. Say the Level Of Detail would (i assume) apply to the entire body and specifically to, in the texture: T_IGOR3_body_derm … ( again I probably do not know therms used in Blender, or in English as such… :wink: )

So to get LOD to work I should duplicate IGOR3_Body, and name it IGRO3_body_LOD1?

Thanks for the file, I fixed the bug. Download the latest version of the addon.

About LODs, read this: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/LevelOfDetail.

1 Like

Thanks - now export worked in first shot, for the same character without even closing Blender down! I will be back…

I think I know the basics of LOD, that the graphics need not to be calculated when not close-up. I thought your Export would then generate the materials/textures for LOD1,LOD2 and LOD3… and then we can either import these or set up new sets of materials for each of the levels. (this would make more sense with props, and perhaps not for single Characters… unless you plan to spawn an army, like this guy did:

I will play with that later, right now I will try to focus on morph and skel/anim re-targeting. (In the DAZ YT you can also see how to make use of Morphs… I will check your notes on that also…)

The imported FBX works really fine, and I managed to retarget the animations - almost:

- doing this is rather difficult, however running by the instruction from the old version tutorial mentioned above I can almost get this to work. Even the fingers seems to be correct, but then the lower-arm/hand

1. Turn off ‘Use basic muscles’ before generating the character. This is not for game engines.
  2. About ‘Use Inverse Kinematics’: if you need these bones for hand animation, in the addon’s ‘Export Bones’ uncheck ‘All Bones’ and make a list of all the FK bones plus the root bone. This will only export those bones. Finally, save the bone configuration to a preset to use it with all MBLab characters.
    If you uncheck ‘Use Inverse Kinematics’ before generating the character, the skeleton only includes the FK bones and you don’t have to do a all the other stuff in point 2.
1 Like

Thanks - got much further now, almost there!

I tried to delete the muscle/IK bones - as both muscle and IK are on separate layers… I’m not sure that I need to delete IK though? Won’t I want to have IK? Also I had to twist the axis to 90 when importing i UE4. ( I did a bit of work on this figure, so I opened the blender file, took a backup, and made the changes directly before using your export.)

The only thing that is off now is the hands… some of the MB fingers have an “extra” bone… like below, middle00_R to middle03_R, where the original goes middle_01_r to middle_03_r

billede

It’s not enough to just remove the muscle bones because you would also have to redo the weight painting because those are all deform bones, but it’s much easier to just generate a new character than doing the weight painting manually.

The 00 finger bones aka metacarpal bones can be left or if you wan’t to optimize performance they should be deleted (that’s 8 plus deform bones!). If you delete theme their weights should be merged to the two hand bones using ‘Vertex Weight Mix’ modifiers.

About IK: Those bones are not weighted so they won’t affect real-time performance. You can leave them, if you want to

Finally, the short form of Unreal Engine 4 is not UR4 but UE4, call it that way, if you want to get yourself understood.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, this is now ‘almost’ working for me and I will post a bit about it in the the UE4 forums…

Updated for Blender 2.80.

1 Like

thanks for your hard work! Is it possible update “GYAZ-Handplane-Bridge” for 2.8 ?

I’m updating everething this week.

1 Like

Cool,big thanks!
By the way , GYAZ-Texturer will be back?

No, it remains private for now.

Try this, if you need pbr baking: Principled Baker - Bake PBR textures with a few clicks.
(I’ve never tested it.)