Hair using Geometry Nodes

In the example you just presented,you can see there is a part with low hair density,it’s the artifact cause by vertex group with low poly mesh.In particle system you can create a texture mask to eliminate those low desity region.

and a bezier curve…

1 Like

I don’t know which spot in particular you are talking about, but I have used radius instead of vertex group for the distribution. So it might be due to the uneven distribution of the guides.

The easiest way to see if hairs are evenly distributed is to apply the same material (default principal hair with absorption is fine) and see if there is sharp change of color in the hairs.(usually darker)

1 Like

Very impressive !!! Love this.

1 Like

Currently I am working on another project. I will resume from mid March :+1:

5 Likes

I tried using the “particle instance” modifier to create strands, but it di dnot give any satisfactory results.

In general I think I am touching the limits here, I can’t see any major improvements that can be done. We will probably get better grooming tools in Blender soon anyways. See this topic on devtalk

I hope so, still remember hair object proposal long time ago.

The current plan is to have Blender’s curve object become generic enough to be highly useful for hair and fur. In preparation for this, a lot of refactoring is being done.

Jaques meanwhile has already put down a bit of code for the new hair editing system (ie. brushes). Do note that this new system needs a lot of work yet.

2 Likes

Hi,can you share the latest file- - ? I still want to do some tests.

I am so sorry, I didn’t realise I had not shared the version with interpolation smoothing
hair test.blend (1.3 MB)

Check this out https://developer.blender.org/rB3656e66ac24

1 Like

Generated curves clump around each curve guide.
In you previous post,I am not sure,do you mean your current method use the formula sigma (curve/distance)*sigma distance but can’t get the exact result or you can’t use the formula without lists ?

2 Likes

Here I am using the vertices of subdivided plane instead of using point distribution.

Yeah that formula is not possible without using lists. Currently I am just “smoothing” the position attribute by changing the attribute domain from vertex to face and back repeatedly

Don’t loose your hopes so fast. The new hair system is in its infancy and will only get better. From what I have heard it is already quite powerful and people are doing some amazing stuff with it.The logical step forward for us will be to develop node groups for the new hair system.

Aside from that, don’t know if it fits here, but I had made stylized hair using Geometry nodes for a recent project
https://i.imgur.com/pAD0J2T

15 Likes

I know I know, I just thought eeverything would go a bit faster, but well that’s probably just me being impatient. Thats some really nice hair you got there btw, looks great!

4 Likes

So I decided to revisit GN hair setups now that there have been significant changes. I am starting again from scratch- partly because of the new tools and mostly because I can’t understand any of my old work… Right now it’s very simple, I just wanted to check the performance of the new hair curves. And I have to say that the performance is wayyy better.

38 Likes

Would you agree that all curves should render as strands? Right now I think it’s weird that the curve rendering depends on the original object type.

1 Like

I improved the mesh-to-hair setup using the shortest path node. You just need to mark the roots and the strand direction is automatically calculated!

36 Likes