Half Knife. Fast knife tool for Blender

switch the cursor to the crosshair version

Do you mean “to the knife version”? Because crosshair is default for edit mode. And i have not changing it in previous version.

where I can switch it in the .py?

It’s a context.window.cursor_modal_set and context.window.cursor_modal_restore functions.

I have made a small update. I added a 2 new versions. The hotfixed master and the development.
Master version contains the fix of triangle bug. And the knife icon cursor.

Development version is for people who crucial to have snap to center feature. They can test it now. Use it for your own risk.

1 Like

For now i’m struggling with the angle constraint feature. When i done it, i will test the addon and release it on the Blender Market.

1 Like

No sorry, I don’t want to see this Knife cursor (to me it’s the most stupid symbol in Blender). But it looks like every now and then by pressing the “k” key the Knife Tool (original) starts. But it is not reproducible. I will try the update. But thanks for the help.

Hi is it possible to add this to the quick start menu?

For now it’s not possible, if you mean quick favorites. I will add the opertator to the mesh menu then.

Not a big deal It just saves me from having to take my hand off the mouse to hit Alt-K
Awesome thank you

Added ability to cut from and to outside of the mesh.

5 Likes

The development version on Gumroad is updated.
Added the angle constraint feature. Unlikely in the default knife this works based not on the viewport position but on the angle between the selected vertex and its linked edges. You can snap to the half angle and the quarter. So when cutting from an edge you can make an orthogonal edge or 45 degrees like in th default knife. This method have restriction - you MUST mouse over the linked to vertex face to select the correct face.
Added samurai features.
The Half knife operator added to the edit mesh menu, so you can add it to quick favs.
For now i have some bugs with the snap to center feature.

Am I right that cutting from the outside does not work in “cut without peview” mode. Now I know why I sometimes see the Knife coursor. With every change in Preferences Blender needs a restart. :wink:

Am I right that cutting from the outside does not work in “cut without peview” mode.

Yep. I think I need to disable “cut without preview” when K is pressed outside of the mesh.

…but without the knife mouse cursor, please. LOL

Ok. I will make an option to disable the knife cursor special for you.

1 Like

:rofl:thank you man :+1:

I have finished updated version on Gumroad.
Now I’m working on the new video tutorial and the new features overview.

4 Likes

Yeah, now it’s perfect. Thanks again for the special feature. :wave:
I just had to delete the original key to save changes in the addon preferences.

Keymap settings are totally undocumented. I use this function stolen from snap_utilites_line
https://www.google.com/search?q=keyconfig_init_from_data
Maybe the behavior is slightly different on Linux. I don’t know.
On windows the addon preferences looks like completely overwrite highlighted keymap on your screen. Maybe on linux you should uncheck the default keymap too.

As long as it works. Blender has always been a bit chaotic (maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be). It works for me, and this is the first time I’ve liked the Knife Tool. Nice work. :+1:

1 Like

Hi, great addon but it doesn’t work properly on big scale objects.

I just have scaled the default cube in 1000. And I have cutted it with the default knife. I got the same result. I think this is not my bug.

1 Like

I have made a new video.

7 Likes