HDR Female (phi proportions)

5 Likes

Trump, a perfect personification of the golden ratio! It’s also a revelation that if you apply the golden ratio religiously to the female figure you get anime proportions. The Japanese are ingenious.

I think if you post a picture of a model that represents your anatomy you can end all this.
Also I know you don’t like working with a ref for some reason. I just said post a “model that represents your anatomy”!

Also that body type is genetics not sugar and carbs! japan’s main dishes are mostly full of carbs!

2 Likes

Sorry, my bad.

Notice that Model #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are Japanese, also Asian is the face I’ve used for the body, Kiko Mizuhara, she’s half Korean, half American.

2 Likes

So many beautiful models :heart_eyes:

You had fun doing this didn’t you @SonicBlue? :grin:

1 Like

What can I say, I’m ready to look at this kind of picture all day long, for research purpose, obviously.

I did some other investigations, and I think I found a model with similar anatomy to @Blender10der model; 2B from NieR Automata :smiley:

EjMpdt1CSn

That’s not all, I wanted to check if the misconception that Japanese women looks thinner was caused by their height, so I did some tests with Clip Studio Paint Pro’s 3D Drawing Figure, which let you create a realistic (or anime) character with various settings, height included.

So, I had the difficult task to chose who’s going to be the model. This time it’s Rea Hanasaki (Gravure Idol), 151cm tall, and surprise (changing only the head size and posing the character):

She matches the reference model default body shape :smiley:

And yes, the FAT model I made, matches most of her body too, in particular the waist and bust area.

In conclusion, it’s a matter of scale, it’s better to research the subject to avoid unpleasant “surprises” when you start sculpting and avoiding Mattel asking for their doll back.

2 Likes

Sherlock is on the case! :+1:

After your research and investigation, the japanese-anime influence is plainly obvious. Nothing wrong with liking anime proportions of course.

1 Like

I think we should wait for the op to have a say in this matter before jumping into any conclusions.

2 Likes

@yakuzakazuya
@Weekend
@SonicBlue
Why you guys have to pick on me? It is realistic! At least more than anime!
These proportion are not anywhere near anime style:

Just because its the “ideal” body type, doesn’t mean its unreal.
There are real life supermodels that aren’t fat or distorted like those gifs you edited of my model.

And I guess we’re just going to outright ignore what I pointed out above as well, then. Don’t take it as people picking on you, brother. There are some valid points that folks are taking their time to make, to help you. If several people are agreeing that something looks off, there’s probably something that’s off. That’s when you gotta take a step back and look at your work objectively, rather than emotionally (because we all have a certain emotional attachment to our own work.)

It can be humbling (especially if you plan to work professionally. Prepare to have your heart ripped out at times), but it’s just part of the process. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No one is picking on you, everyone is trying to guide you to improve your model, but you have a fixation for this golden ratio stuff. This is not a thing about me (or someone else) being right and you being wrong at all costs, it’s real world anatomy that proves that your model isn’t following the correct proportions.

You say that there are supermodels with that body type, prove it! I didn’t make your model “fat” and “distorted” by eyeballing the proportions I thought that may be correct, I “liquified” it onto a model reference and matched her contours, a real person.

And that’s the same technique I used to adjust your model face:

The model which is based on is Kanna Hashimoto.

Other than this I don’t know what to say, you have unrealistic expectations about the female body and you are trying to use tools to assist you in your lacking of human anatomy knowledge. It doesn’t work like that, there are very specific proportions rules that you have to follow, there are many books on this subject.

Also Rea Hanasaki isn’t fat, nor is Miriam Leone.

6 Likes

@SonicBlue
All I am saying is I am not THAT far off on my proportions…
I have seen real human beings with much weirder anatomy.
Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDH-bCbQ5w
Those images you keep correcting with Photoshop are in orthographic mode by the way…
Of course it wouldn’t look that way in the real world unless the lenses of your eyes were flat.
I only showed them in orthographic mode to show how it lined up to the golden ratio.
I am not looking for discouragement here. I have been changing all kinds of things on this model
that people have suggested needed fixing. You are suggesting I pretty much start over with your
scetches of how “off” or “odd” the golden ratio proportions make this character look.
I really don’t think she looks that bad especially in perspective mode. (85 degree focal length)
Here are a few images in perspective mode:

Just remember this is “art” please. I will take advice, but not so much that the whole model becomes something that isn’t mine. When it comes to anatomy, I agree that there are “norms” but there is “play” in the shapes of the body otherwise everyone would look the same. My “play” doesn’t look THAT bad does it? I admit I am no “Leonardo” when it comes to sculpting anatomy but I am not terrible either.

In nature there are people with a very long neck, or short, or large, or thin, but you’ll never see a neck like that one; why? because the ‘sternocleidomastoid’ muscles go from the mastoid process of the skull to the manubrium and to the anterior surface of the clavicles.
This is just an example, as an artist you are free to draw a neck as you please, but to call it “realistic” you must follow anatomy.

4 Likes

Just take the corrections of @SonicBlue, now he made your character look an human.

Also, what you call “fat” is what make a model look living and not synthetic

3 Likes

I’m just plain not convinced the golden ratio adds attractiveness. I don’t believe we are attracted to perfection, it’s a chemical reaction based on different kinds of genetics. No matter how perfect a dog is, a human will never find it attractive. There’s been a lot of debate about why the perfect human looks like an alien, and it’s because the proportions are just not attractive.

1 Like

@sourvinos
I admit the model is not perfect. Here is a rotational gif to help you see proportions better.
Rotate

@blenderaptor
Yes his images looked good. He has good sketches but the faces are way too different. I might as well start a new model.
I don’t want to argue, but he didn’t render those images in Blender, he sketched them on a 2d plane from a single perspective. I think any 3d artist can agree it is easier to draw a realistic human being from a single vantage point than it is to sculpt texture and light one in Blender and make it look real rather than fake. Just ask a hollywood special effects artist. They are still working on “real” looking cgi.

@sourvinos
Im still working on details hence why this is in “work in progress”.
The neck was much worse before. I am learning and will never stop learning.
Nobody knows everything. I can take advice from a master only when the master isn’t afraid of
me progressing to his level. Maybe I should delete this thread and re-post it later.

@SonicBlue
Why do you insist on correcting the same old orthographic view of my model? Yes it looks weird and unnatural in orthographic mode and the waist and hips were way thinner in that old photo. I have been working on it but you made it seem as if I have no clue what a person can look like. There are all shapes and sizes of people. If there is a “norm” or “average” I hope its not with so much fat you cant make out where the bones lie inside the body…
Go to google images and type in Hegre-Art. I consider those females to be proportionally and artistically pleasing and my model isn’t far off.

This is a real photo of a real supermodel.
Are the proportions real now?
Don’t be so critical. I am not far off at all.
It is still to the golden ratio…

1 Like