Help with baking

Hi, I need help with baking texture. I convert marvelous designer models to another game through blender and everything works fine. I can convert them easily. The problem is when it comes to making to making textures. I was never satisfied with the result.

The texture looks fine in blender but when I bake it the result is too dark. I tried to cycle baking but it didn’t give me the best result either.

In render mode the texture looks fine but in cycle mode or whatever it’s called it’s so grainy. It didn’t even allow me to bake anything until I opened the object alone without the avatar. It kept saying the there is no image found for the material.

I decided to try baking something for the object alone and it worked. I just didn’t like the result.

I need a method of baking that gives you the exact same result that you see in the view port. I tried many settings and I couldn’t get it. Any help would be appreciated. I’m new to this so I might be asking really stupid questions.

@Snoopyohhh Not sure what is going on but there is a bit of an odd method to baking textures in cycles. This video may help you with the process. The video is explaining the normal map baking but same process applies when baking other textures as well. As far as blurry or grainy results that could be simply the quality of the texture file you are using for the bake, which is explained in the video as well. And try to save the bakes as png or tiff files as others tend to be quite noisy and lossy in the final output. But here is the video that explains the process.

I categories texture baking into three groups:

• Geometry baking: High poly mesh to low poly mesh detail (e.g. normal, curvature, cavity, thickness…)
  • Material baking: final result of material properties of a node graph into unique textures (e.g. base color, roughness, normal…)
  • Lighting baking: (e.g. indirect lighting, shadows…)

As you can see, saying that I want to bake is not enough info, you have to be more specific.

This seems more complicated than the tutorials I watched. I’ll check it out.

That’s my problem. I don’t understand the different types of baking and that’s why I can’t search for the exact thing that I want. For example, what is material baking? Is it what’s shown in the render view port or the material view port? And how can I decide which lightening to keep when baking?

You can bake with blender internal for grainy free images.

1. Change to Blender Render
  2. Make sure model is unwraped
  3. Make sure model has image applied to the UVs
  4. Switch to render panel
  5. You can change bake mode to Texture and in that case only model material color will be baked so no shadow will show. For example I have only red material in this scene on cube and if i hit bake only red color will show. Since i selected Full render everything is included AO, Shadows, Emmision, Reflection etc.

I tried this method but I believe it gave me an error. I’ll try it again.

I tried it again and it game me the same error.

No objects or images found to bake to.

All the other types of baking work except for this one. I don’t know why.

Also, how do you make sure there’s an image applied to the uv?

That is error that you avoid if you have image applied. So in UV editor(lower window on my image) there will be buttons that say “New” and “Open” you can click New and enter desired resolution and click OK. After that you can bake on that new image. Don’t forget to save it by clicking Image/Save as Image from that same window(UV Editor) or by pressing F3. Optionally you can open image from your computer. Save save way after baking.

Okay, so the baking worked but the result is still different. It’s darker and less smooth.

Note: The second image is not in blender but I think it’s obvious from the bake result that the image isn’t exactly smooth and has very dark shadows.

Ok so to get results closer to that image:

1. Chose World tab in Properties window
  2. Enable Ambient Occulusion
  3. Chose Approximate method
  4. Set number of pases to 1

Note that you can use “Raytrace” method too. Results will be much more realistic but grainy. Its similar issue as with Cycles baking. You can crank up number of passes for Aproximate method or number of samples for Raytrace method. Play with those settings. Using Raytrace with 32 or even 64 samples could get near perfect results but run forever. Meanwhile using Aproximate with only one sample could get you finishing work in no time. Its mater of finding what works best for your scenario.

1 Like

Well, The shading changes in the results but it’s still… not smooth? I’m not sure how to describe it. The folds in the first picture are smooth but the second one looks distorted.

I think I will try to increase the samples.

I tried raytrace and increased the samples but it finished quickly and it didn’t change anything.
I’m not sure why?

I don’t mind if a method takes a long time I just want the result to be good.

Would it help if I uploaded the file?

Yes let me take a look.

Just a minute

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwmiezas5to28xp/Mesh.blend?dl=0

This is the file with the original settings.

There are a lot of unnecessary materials because I appended other objects for the sake of conversion so don’t be surprised by them :slight_smile:

This particular cloth mesh has only one side. For this particular case you only can have workaround. Theres reason why you see those blacks. Cloth is wraping around and in some places you see it from front side and on other places its wraped and you see back side. Since back side is not rendered you see trough it. and behind it theres cloth that has shadow and therefore black. Workaround is that in material settings under shading you add emit value which will give you less shadowy cloth.

Then bake texture using Full render and note that you can untick clear since you have image with some textures baked already.

1 Like

Do you see what I mean by front and back faces. Looking from this side you just see front faces. all back faces are turning away from you and you cant see them really. If you rotate around you would see only back faces and not front faces. Theres nothing with baking method whichever you use since issue is with model. You could apply solidify modifier to this mesh and it will give it front faces but then you need to unwrap it and model will have twice the geometry.

1 Like

Is there something I can do about the object before I import it into blender?

For example, when I export it from Marvelous designer I have different settings for the texture and the uv. Will changing the object from there change anything?

If not, I’ll try the solidify method and see if it’s worth it.