(Higgsas) Geometry Nodes Groups Blender 3.3/3.4/3.5/3.6/4.0/4.1

Hey,

I am not sure if the bunding gonna work with edges from polygon, you might need to distribute curves on the mesh surface and then use the edge bundling (also shrink wrap curves to surface using Geometry proximity inside the bundling solver).

The other solution would be just triangulate the mesh(for example using merge by distance or the decimate modifier) and convert edges to volume and remesh it with mesh smoothing to achieve similar effect:

2 Likes

Another attempt to recreate Stippling effect.

With pretty simple node setup:

stippling pattern.blend (331.5 KB)

Starting with density from image:

And turning points to mesh

The implementation source by Junichiro Horikawa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKxYo8Q5qo

Is not exact implementation for the weighted voronoi stippling, but is as close I can understand it.

Video examples with adding Repeat Zone node for the time steps (10 time steps used)

32 Likes

Hey Higgsas,

The results are pretty good (and when animated, very trippy…) – thanks for sharing! And it’s funny on how undecided some points are:

BTW, yesterday I was trying to recreate a “poke” script with GN when I stumbled upon a tiling named “Chinese ice-ray lattices”. Have you (or any of you) come across this before? The resulting patterns are very interesting, as explained on the following link:
Fractal-based algorithmic design of Chinese ice-ray lattices

1 Like

Is this still being updated, consider getting on blendermarket

1 Like

it only list updates until 2023-08-16 Update on the Blendermarket

is it still getting updates, just not listed?

Hey,

Yes I still update, it just yesterday added version for blender 4.0. Also working on adding 10+ new nodes, reworking of some nodes and edit mode tools.

11 Likes

Nice, im making a purchase right now then :smiley:

1 Like

Hey,

Looking from the paper simplest example that divide face in half, I have similar node “Mesh Face Divider” that does this but without the distortion, I actually wanted add distortion feature but its just take a time and would need to redo whole node group.

Here is quit implementation of this example:

In my example it will divide first horizontally then vertically, but in paper it’s looks like division based on the width/height of the face so it will give more uniform results, you can implement that too but it’s a bit of work.

tiles.blend (202.8 KB)

Also the points jumping spastically I think because the points grid are too sparse.

8 Likes

Do you have a video tutorial series or something?

I don’t atm, I planning to make the video explanation but it will take some time. In the mean time you can check the nodes documentation: https://higgsas-geo-nodes-manual.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

5 Likes

Will do that, documentation is fine

Hey Higgsas,

Thank you very much – it is very kind of you to use your time to think about my question and share the results. I’m learning a lot from your examples.

1 Like

very cool nodegroup. I’ve added a little bit of animated noise + inset/extrude

tiles_animated.blend (183.3 KB)

14 Likes

Hi Higgsas! I was just playing with the new nodes (great additions BTW!) and I’m having some issues with the Triangle Mesh Circle Packing. Tried some different combinations with the Time Steps and Relax Strength without success. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Hey, thanks. I forgot to add to the documentation for the limitations, that triangles on the boundary that has only 2 vertices will not move during simulation, so it will give bad results.

You have to avoid it you can when generating triangle mesh.

The simple solution would be to delete vertices with 2 neighbors multiple times until no more left.

2 Likes

Ok – thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hi there, got a question for an effect

I have a bunch of cylinders spawned with an instance on points I want to get the to squish in between the two side cylinders which are both one mesh

This is my setup, the base object is a cube that is weighted to an armature so as I move the bones it stretches the cube, I use this cube to spawn points I do flatten the cube so it only spawns a plane of points

Any of you amazing node collection can help pull this effect together?

An example of the effect, squishing something in a hand or could be squished by a roap/curve

l also have this issue, could maybe use your curve packing but I want all cylinder same size, is there a way to simply get instance of any mesh to not collide/intersect. Or even better they could swuich agenst eachother, maybe take the instance result realize it and to a intersection detection and edit the mesh to so the intersecting faces push away from eachother
keeping-objects-from-intersecting-geometry-nodes-physics-v0-dbyg1trsriya1

There is alot of node groups in here so not sure if I can simply use what here to make what I need or if something new is needed
I

Hey, I do have bend node to achieve similar effect but I am not sure if it will work with animation.

For the cylinders you can just use Poisson Disk inside the Distribute Points on Faces to get packing without overlap.

And for squishing effect I don’t really have any nodes for it, it is pretty hard to achieve.

1 Like

Could you also get he cylinders to squish inward also like this

I faked this just to show, Ideally they would squish agents each other also

Thankyou for showing this node tree :slight_smile:
I need to get all your nodes as there fing amazing

The animation part is basically the cube that is the base geometry is weighted to the armature so i can squish the cube with the armature this cube is used to distribute points so as the cube shrinks so dose the area the points are generated so i can have just a row of cylinders or lots in a bigger gap by moving the bones as it changes the base cube which i do use Poisson Disk inside the Distribute Points on Faces on. I still get intersecting and also gaps