Honoring my beautiful boy💙 April is autism awareness month

12 Likes
1 Like

Maybe you could say a bit more if you are trying to get a message across. Like how you know if someone is on the autism spectrum… and who this boy is in your life that is on the spectrum.

“This boy” is my beautiful 16 year old son…
I thought my message was clear. “Support, educate, advocate”. Sadly, there are way too many people who do not understand autism.

2 Likes

I have tried to understand autism. There is some good info out there now in the form of TV shows, documentaries…

But like … some of these people present their autistic qualities so differently.

1 Like

Unlike many social movements, Autism Awareness is one I actually want to support. In this day and age of treatments that can work directly with your genetics, someday there will be a breakthrough that can do for the severely autistic what modern therapies can’t.

A year or so ago, I have heard of a first of its kind treatment for those with Asperger’s which was shown to improve the ability to communicate clearly. I have Asperger’s myself and I would have to decide, if a treatment came to make me ‘normal’ came along, but at the cost of removing the advantages given in intelligence and creativity, would there be a good enough reason to take it?

1 Like