How can I create a "flowing" animation for hair?

Whenever I animate hair or floppy ears, the end result is usually either reversed to the direction I want (up rather than down), or I delay the animation to create the flow effect, but it doesn’t look quite like a flow.

A great example is Klonoa. For any who have played the PS2 demo of Klonoa 2 Lunatea’s Veil, if you stop and make Klonoa face front or backwards from the camera, you’ll notice a distinct “flowing” effect on his ears. This flowing animation is a sine wave. When moving, the ears and hair start blowing backwards. But when I recreate this in Blender, it is either a bit inaccurate or reversed in direction. It’s also noted that I do know how to do this somewhat, I cannot get it to be realistic. It either is out of sync, or looks kinda scruched like paper.

I would do flowing hair using shape keys, because then you just set up logic on the actual mesh. I did that with my most recent game and it looks pretty good (though I did it for robes, not hair)

shape keys is not the best to use if you want flowing or wavy stuff, shape keys moves the vertexes in a strait line from position a to position b so the end result is going to look a little odd.

a simple search and this popped up

and a little howto on youtube