How many architects here?

Architecture student… n?

A real “hallo” to jazzroy.

Ricky

industrial, interior, and metal designer here.

while working on my metal and product design
blender was not able to give me the tools i need.

anyway blender is not Cobalt or Amapi.
hey amapi used openNURBS tools. i think that is
ok to get into blender since blenders nurbs tools
kinda got very dusty.

but yah snapping tool is very important and please
also a round edge tool for selected edges ONLY!!!

claas

so, the number’s still growing…
I think it’s a good idea to make a proposal for snapping, I’ll make a new topic where we can put all ideas about it!

-amapi sucks
-blender needs more CAD/presicion tools
-Linux zealots: stop talking about Linux vs. Windows

• :-?

Interior designer and animator here in sunny Hong Kong.

Precision measurement tools would be a big bonus. Makes it easier to export to CAD packages.

Global contol of lighting levels would also be useful.

Recently moved a student’s models from Form Z in to Blender with good results.

I have used Max and Lightwave for interiors and animation and quite frankly blender is now my premier tool for anim and visualisation (after pen and paper that is).

Lots of good fast Max users in HK and China , not met any blenderers.

BB

I like the idea of coordinates, rulers, numerics etc that reveal location, relative size etc. Something like a 3d version of gimps rulers etc which gives an xy locate and size reference.

OoOO a tape measure would be good to.

select two points and it tells you the distance apart and the angle of the line :smiley:

Alltaken

the Tuhoppu version offers measurements of lines and faces. as for the original question, I myself am not an architect., but I have done work for a few.
the funny thing was when I overheard a few architects (having lunch) complaining about software prices, so I asked permission to interrupt the conversation to tell them about a program called “Blender”. the next day I was at a new friend’s office showing him how to use the software and another
loyal fan is born. :smiley:

changing the world, one step at a time :smiley:

TakingHits

-amapi sucks

takinghits you must know it. [!]

I have watched this thread with interest. I am not an architech, but I am interested in making realistic,cities,buildings,homes, and room that I can publish on the web with the blender web publisher or export to vrml2.0 so that they can be interactive and multi user. I have all the python plugins and extension that allow export.

My problem has always been modeling the INTERIOR of building. I could publish a city or town using things like City_07.py or theBeast or even dupliverts but that will not allow the user/viewer to enter into the building. I find modeling the interiors tedious,especially the texturing or walls, and funiture. Anyone have any suggestions?

one way to make your interior scenes easier to build is to create a lirary of objects that you can append objects from. this library should include standard measurement of things such as doors, windows, fixtures and so on. also a library of furniture would help :smiley:
as far as texturing goes …3d can be very tedious. learn to enjoy the insanity of detail that can go into one picture.

Architects: 1
Archaeologist [field engineer]: 1
Some civil: 1

I’ve been showing off Blender’s abilities to anyone/everyone who’ll listen and its raised more than a few eyebrows. Most recently, I created working drawings [Ie: documents for construction/fabrication] for a friend [of a friend] who designs and fabricates furniture. http://www.blackbirdwelding.com.

Tried a couple of different approaches but finally settled on:

1. Create precise geometry [Ie. plans & elevations] in AutoCAD
  2. Dump .dxf into Blender
  3. Model from same – mostly by extruding surfaces. [Note: very disappointed still in the dxf imports especially with arcs and circles. But managed to work around it.]

This worked for me but was a bit tedious with the back-and-forth. At present, I’m chatting with a guy named Art Haas [http://www.pythoncad.org/] who is [almost] single-handedly creating a CAD package in Python – from scratch! Its FOSS [GNU gpl’d]. My thinking is that this would make a great head start as a stack-on CAD tool for Blender.

Can I get a witness?

You got a witness. Very nice efforts on his part. I emailed him to let him know I appreciated his hard work.

well i work as an techinal engineer at an architects office and i use autocad. I’ve been trying to model some real buidings with blender but it’s seems impossible. I have been browsing this forum for answers but if i understand correctly it’s not possible to get the exact dimension of objects. (the only way i’ve found was in edit mode clicking all the vertices one by one wich would give me the position of the vertex measured in units from the objects centre). I method of finding the distance between two point would be nice also the adding of objects by real dimension. (i’m very new to blender but if i insert a cube it’s a 2x2x2 cube? scaling by 0.5 aply rot translation turning it in a 1x1x1 cube?).
If i insert a circle does blender see this object as an circle(with a radius) or as a mesh of vertices with no link to the initial mesh i selected?

If blender see’s it as an collection of vertices it would be nice (maybe it’s already possible??) if the bounding box absolute dimensions will be changeble when i hit the n key in object mode(scaling the obect accordingly in absolut units).

Snapping in blender seems kind of complicated compared to other programs but maybe it’s something getting used to. The method of snapping as i understand it with the 3d cursor and the movement of the objects centre points is there any other method?

architect student : 1

My wishes are :

• Snap on-the-fly
  • Tape measurement
  • Create objects (mainly “cube”) with size specifications

industrial design student in here!