How to distort color attributes

Hello,

I’m asking myself if this is possible.

I want to use a color attribute node as a mask to mix two textures.
No problem so far.

But after color attributes are based on the mesht topolgie I would like to add procedual more details to this mask, but only on the corners of the mask.

If I would use an image for the mask, this would be no issue, because an image as vector information which I could utilize for disortion.

But an color attribute has no vectors which I could distort.

So, is there a way to distort the corners of a mask painted by a color attribute?

grafik

by using mix node maybe

1 Like

yeah, I already tried a mix node, but I want only distort the edges of the mask.
With a mix mode I also change the white area which I want to have white.

hmm, it has to be possible with playing colorramp or map range, my brain stopped now. I normally do that with geonodes but i forgot. Will look into that later today when i have time.

1 Like

something like that?

That goes into the right direction, nice.
Expect that everything which is black should stay black.

Imagine that you are painting a mask for transition between two textures.

So, only the borders of the paint are allowed to be disorted.
What is completly black is not allowed to get “hohles”.

Hi there!
What if your brush is also a noise texture? Then the border of what you paint would match the whole distortion a bit better :blush:

yeah, i couldn’t do that, probably easy to do, cant figure out that for now. But this is really fun, all kind of crazy brush can be made here with math nodes. Just realizing. I will dig this more when i have time. Try playing with values of compare node, with epsilon etc.

1 Like

I guess this will not work, because the brush would be limited to the mesh density.
That the main reason why I asked if you could use some kind of distortion to add smaller details then the mesh :wink:

How much it counts where the mask is?
You can create a procedural splash, out of musgrave or noise, just one spot, and then move it with a mapping node? :grin:

Not sure what you are excatly suggesting.

But maybe it’s helpfully to describe what I want to do.

I’m using from DAZ studio Genesis human figures which I convert to Blender.
I want to mix skins, e.g. a race transformation from white to black.

Therefore I could utilize the weight maps from this figure and convert the weight maps to color attributes to have transformation zones for the skin which could be e.g. used in an animation to make a skin transformation zone by zone.

But it would be nice if on the edges of this zons would be some kind disortion, to give these zones a more organic look.

As you see here:

I can’t really paint details on this chin,after the mesh density don’t allow it, if I use color attributes.

The alternative would be to paint a texture, but the downside of using a texture is that it’s costs some VRAM and I can’t utilize the weight map as a base for the zones.

Therefore I thought it would be pretty nice if I could somehow use color attributes (which I can, of course), but I would like to bring a step further and have more control, indendent from the mesh density.

try this

ok, i think this will work for you smoother.

thank you, thats pretty pretty nice.

I created blend files for both of your solutions and attach them here, if anyone else is intrested.

I also tried a third solutions where the corners have also some blur effect, to make a soft skin transition.

But sadly it seems only be possible to smooth the disortion but not the base shape (after vector informations are missing).

But hover, I have to test how this will come out when I use it in a real project, but could be pretty usefull.

color attribute disortion 1.blend (1.4 MB)
color attribute disortion 2.blend (1.4 MB)
color attribute disortion 3.blend (1.4 MB)

just played a little bit with the settings.
it possible to a much better blur with the right settings.
but I hoped to get a white->black transition on the corners with the blur. looks like that’s not possible.
that would be of course the king class for transition maks to have also a white->black transition :wink:

play with smooth minimum and multiply values, you can blur it. Also you have to hit the gspot with the colorramp values, very delicate balance. :slight_smile:

file

attribute-brush2.blend (2.7 MB)

I played now around an hour with this approach.
Didn’t managed to get a real soft organic transition effect.

I guess this is simple not possible with current Blender nodes.

Also tried a setup where I had multiple layers of this effect, layered above with multple strengs and sizes.
But still to hard for a skin transition.
I guess I have still to paint here those maps as a bitmap.

However, thank you for your help.

1 Like

ok, I see. One last thing “power math node” after multiply or smooth minimum might soften it even more. cheers

Of course you can! :slight_smile:

3 Likes