How to get instant notifications

How do I get instant email notifications only for watched threads? Is it possible with the new software?

Discourse supports different types of notifications. It will automatically ā€˜trackā€™ topics where you spend more than 4 minutes reading them, but you can also manually update the notification type for each topics at the very bottom (see screenshot below).

Note that Discourse will first send you a notification on the site. If you after 10 minutes you havenā€™t seen the post, it will mail you a notification.

In your profile you can also control the notification defaults for your account:

I havenā€™t been getting any email notification from watched threads even when not actively visiting the site, but to be sure Iā€™ll test with this one by closing the window after replying.

1 Like

Ok great! Iā€™ll leave a reply so youā€™ll get a notification.

One thing to keep in mind: we have a large email queue, so you can expect several hours of delay :cry:

No email notification after being 40 minutes away from the forum. Perhaps itā€™s only a temporary issue due to the email queue you mention.

Looking at the logs you should have received several emails by now - Iā€™ll send you more information in a PM.

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m doing something wrong, but I havenā€™t received a single email notification to threads Iā€™ve replied to since the move to Discourse. Also, are my previously followed threads no longer valid?

I checked and we havenā€™t sent you any emails yet. Youā€™re not auto-subscribed to any threads you followed on vBulletin - Iā€™ll try to get instructions up today on how to access the old site and re-subscribe.

Wow, thanks for the fast response, haha. Sounds good. Please notify when the instructions are up.

Also, how do I manually subscribe to threads? In the old site, any thread I replied to sent me email notifications, but that doesnā€™t seem to be the case here. Is there a way I can make that happen?

It should subscribe you when you reply, unless you have changed this in your preferences:

To manually change tracking for a specific topic, click the tracking button at the bottom of the screen:

Finally, Discourse wonā€™t email you if you have already seen the update on the site.

Oh! I received an email for this thread when you replied. But nothing for the really active Blender 2.8 development thread. Iā€™m going to mute then track and see if that fixes it.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the guide on copying your existing subscribed threads:

Thanks for the thread!

Also, mute then track didnā€™t resolve the issue. Iā€™m trying ā€œwatchā€ option to see if thatā€™ll do it.

Update: It still didnā€™t do it. No email notifications from that thread. =/

Update 2: Never mind, I received an email!