How-to model the trim of a violin?

Hey guys,

I’m working on a violin model and I can’t figure out how to go about adding the bumped up in trim on it.

As you can see on what I have so far, I managed to create the ƒ-holes by subdividing a whole lot and creating paths with the edges. But now I can’t figure out how to get the slightly bumped up trim that goes around the edges. Any ideas?

Here’s my reference: http://www.darntonviolins.com/images/instrument_gallery/transitional_violin.jpg

Attachments

are you talking about the little edge on the side

or also the twisted handle too?

you could place a curve around the violin for the trim and integrate it to you model

otherwise you have to do it by hand all around!

salutations

I’m talking about the edge that goes around the body. I’ve found a great technique to do the scroll (at the top of the neck) by using the “Screw” button.

That is good point, though, I wouldn’t HAVE to make the edge from the same mesh. I guess I could create a separate object… heh. But how would you go about doing it with a curve?

Thanks

I think SolidifySelection script will be useful. In edit mode select only faces belonging to the sides of violin. Then go to Mesh->Scripts->Solidify Selection. Enter the thickness of a trim into a ‘thick’ field. Press OK. You will need to scale down the newly created vertices along Z or other axis, depending on how your violin is turned. Now you can improve trim using ‘extrude’ and ‘cut’ tools.

well, when you start something you need to go on a logical approach: in the first place you define the 2d shape of the body of the violin (use a plane, subdivide it, get the shape; a background picture is very usefull). don’t go for a perfect geometry, because you have to subsurf the mesh later on. after you get a pretty nice shape, add the subsurf modifier with 1 or 2 subdivisions (two works best for nice smooth edges). keep in mind two things: you need enough vertices on the center part of the body for the soundbox (the face of the violin is slighty curbed in a convex way) and also you need some beveling for the outer part (the edge is also bend). after playing with the shape until you get the aspect you want, duplicate the mesh, leave one on another layer, just in case you need some further adjustments later one, apply the subsurf modifier on the other mesh and start adding the f-holes (which can be done with a boolean operation).

here are some pictures of the violin i’m working on to help you understand what i’m saying:

violin1.jpg shows the mesh i worked on to get the shape: you can see that it’s really low-poly

violin2.jpg shows the mesh after the subsurf was applyied, the mesh i carved the f-holes in with the boolean tool

bubu3.jpg shows a final render of the violin body. you can see that is pretty smooth and the edges bevel up nice, as well as the sound box bend (actually you can’t really see the sound box bend, but you can see those fine shadowish parts that result from the bend)

Attachments

I would recommend using the retopo tool, especially for the f-holes, so as to get nice clean edge loops around them.