How to realistically deform an arm using corrective shape keys

Hi there
A common issue when rigging bending organic parts (such as arms or legs) in Blender 3D is that they wouldn’t realistically deform (i.e. around the elbow or the knee)
Various techniques and workarounds exist for this (for example,using the Maintain Volume modifier)
In this tutorial,though,we present a rather more advanced technique through using Shape Keys (which,in this case are known as “corrective shape keys”) that allow for a realistic deformation of the bent forearm
We’ll also be showing how to use animation drivers for linking the rotation of the forearm bone to the value of the shape key,resulting in a very realistic deformation and animation

Hope you’ll enjoy this
Peter

2 Likes

Peter, you are my hero. I was having headaches with this issue. Thanks!

Thanks Peter! I’ve been doing it all manually and didn’t know it was possible to drive shape keys with the rig! Perfect tutorial, thanks again!

Peter,
Great contribution… thanks!
One question… have you done any work on something more complex – such as the shoulder? There you would have a couple of different shapekeys and they need to be applied differently depending on if the arm is up or up/back or up/forward… how would you do this?

Thanks for the great straightforward tutorial. This looks like just what I needed to solve my problems :slight_smile:

Your blogspot has been removed.

exactly what i was thinking?

thanks guy :slight_smile: