How would you approach this task of making folds on material

Howdy,

I was wondering how would you approach making folds on the piece of furniture. The hard way I would do is simply where possible use available edges from mesh that create new ones in the mesh ( straightening them to follow correct curve). My fear is I will run into problem messing the form while adjusting parts of the mesh to my needs.

T

select the edges, bevel and extrude? The problem being that your topology doesn’t exactly follow vertical lines like it should do…

Exactly. It does not follow. I should’ve express my self clearer though. I kind of know how to make folds. Yes, one of the ways doing it is extrudes bevelled edge and and than folding it over. Ideally edge would follow vertical line. I hope there is a trick.
One way of completing similar task when you need to do thick seem/edge is :
Edge being copied Shift+D > separate by selection > transform from mesh to curve > use curve modifier. Works like a charm for certain tasks but for this.

you could redo the topology with a much simpler topology, actually do you have a reason to make it high-poly?

Nope, not really. I just applied modifer 2/3/2. I guess I could go 2/2/2 . That’s how it looks:

so if you have no reason to apply the Subdivision Surface, don’t, this way your file is lighter and you can easily correct the topology (like in this particular case)

To be honest my workflow based on subdivision modifier. It’s just one chair, I don’t think I blow anything out of proportion.

Subdivision Surface modifier is great, but don’t apply it as long as you don’t need to, and if you do always keep a copy with a non-applied version

I started with basic cube form and applied subdivision modifier from the start. It is pretty much simple form while subM gives me flexibility to make curves. How would you approach this form working without subM?

you need to model it low-poly from the different views, then, when the general shape is ok, give it a Subdivision Surface, don’t apply it, just move the vertices so that it stick to your model

like for example begin with that:

give it a Subsurf, see what it gives, correct, etc…

Thanks. I guess I could still work on my one too by disabling subsurf. Did you extrude your form?

yes I began with a cube, your general shape seems to be good, but your edges are a bit messy, so maybe clean up a bit, give it a Subdivision Surface, bring some corrections, add vertical edge loops (if necessary) in order to bevel and extrude to make the seams

Actually “messy edges” start to make sense when subsurf introduced. They are cut loops to make some harder edges. 2-3 vertical loops are fine the only hassle is when the flow of vertical loop intersected by horizontal but I guess it’s hard to avoid having few different faces looking at different directions (planes) . I hope it makes sense what I say.

I don’t understand some of your edges, your mesh should look a bit more like that:

Also use a Mirror modifier so that you only have to work on one side

Here we go. Let me know if that makes sense.

i’m not sure about the edges going up, and also you should put a vertical edge on the center, other than that it seems ok

There is an edge in the centre when mirror sub applied. Those edges stay where they are it keeps desired from round the way it is now. I guess I have to work with topology the way it is. Keep it as simple as possible the way you suggested though.

Use a Subsurf but don’t apply it if you have no reason to. Your mesh should be good without the Subsurf

I guess I can leave it to the last. Is that what you mean?

i’m not sure what you mean by “leave it to the last”. Maybe follow some tutorials about furnitures modeling, for example this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCLC7jrriAs

see how the mesh stay simple:

Also, don’t activate the Subsurf “On Cage” option