Human Modeling: First Time

I decided to boot up my old favorite graphics program after a long time of no blending. I wanted to try something new, so I started on human modeling for the first time.

First I tried out my new writing tablet by a drawing a few illustrations from Bridgman’s Drawing from Life.

Image1

Image2

Then I tried to create my own model:

Image3

Kind of simple, but I’m new to this.

Image4

Image5

Remember, I’ve never done this before, so any suggestions or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated. I’ll keep posting as I continue constructing this model. I hope to find from this first attempt a method and groundwork for constructing all future models. Thanks in advance for C&C.

Edit: I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace all images with links, and post the most recent image here:

http://www.micaiahchisholm.com/Model14Object.jpg

nice head :slight_smile:

your first time is better than my all time…make a tutorial, or else…lol, but seriously you should.

Also, was that vert pushing or sculpting?

this is one of the hardest things in blender, and you made a realy nice head for a beginner:eek:

Update: Made slight adjustments to the nose and started working on the neck muscles and clavicle

It seems the most critical tactic to developing a good model is to make sure mesh lines run parallel with prominent curves from bone and muscle structures, and to learn when a mesh line from one prominent features should intersect perpendicular or parallel to the mesh line of another feature. For example, the mesh I used for the brow, and cheek bones intersected perpendicular to the nose line at first when I started making this model, but I found that it worked better if I curved them upward full circle to fuse parallel with the nose line.

I found a simple way to redirect mesh lines if they don’t seem to be flowing in the right direction. I’ll try to give an example of it on the next update. I guess that’ll be my “tutorial,” for starters, lol.

major edge flow issues in the cheek area

Bit of an early update, but I felt like it. Made adjustments to the nose and lips, and added a couple more loops that go through the cheeks. I hope that helps with the flow issues you mentioned.

The model had a certain serpentine quality to it early on that I’ve been trying to eliminate bit by bit. I think at this point I need to focus on the cranium in order to resolve most of the remaining problem, and while I’m at it, I’ll start working on the ears.

If you keep doing it, it will get better each time! A human head was also my first model. You’ll have it down real soo!!!

Attachments

Grrrr!!! That ear was a pain! I wanted to kill something. Unfortunately, somebody took my copy of Soul Calibur III. So that’ll have to wait.

Made adjustments to the cranium, jaw line, nose, and constructed the eyes and, of course, the ears, which sadly still need work. Now I’ll work on the shoulders and torso.

Looking really good…Do a Tutorial for these forums if you get a chance please! :slight_smile:

Long awaited update: I’ve been pretty busy for the past couple of weeks:

Strangely enough, the torso has been the hardest part for me. Made adjustments to the head and neck. It’s a little rough right now, but I can fix it later. Time to start working on some appendages.

looks like youre not taking advantage of the subsurf cage. theres a little circle next to the up/down arrows on the modifier, in edit mode, if you switch it on, it snaps the the cage to the surface…
If im mistaken then excuse me. but cool looking model.

I never model with the cage on, i sometimes turn it on just quickly to see what it looks like, but it smooths the mesh way too much so that if you edit your mesh with it on, when you turn it off the mesh can look rteally ugly. But its up to you:D:D:D

I think it is pretty good, if you are looking for advices I don’t really know what I can say. I am actually thinhing that you can give me some.
Just to be sure I can say you don’t trust completely one draw, take also other ones to be sure all is in the right place and the proportions are good. But since now it is a good job, I just say it as method to work on realism. Also some photos of models cna be good.

Update. Probably the toughest thing at this point for me to figure out is how to construct good knee and elbow meshes. I don’t want to settle with a simple grid tube mesh that flows down the length of the limb. I need something more versatile that correctly represents the masses within those joints no matter how they’re bent. That’s gonna be tough. Anyhowzy, that’s it for now:

Those are some pretty meaty arms.
Nice work so far though.

Update: Started working on the forearms. Made adjustments to… well… everything.

Hhehe look like a guy with boobs, but it’s a good model. :wink:

No offense but so far it looks too much like a guy with severe hormone problems. The bulk of the muscles is one thing, but more than that the proportions are very male, particularly the width of the shoulders and the size of the upper thorax and waist compared to the hips. Even in extremely well-developed women there is a significantly different set of specifications for the relationships between body sections and parts.

I agree with chipmasque. My suggestion is to reduce the width of shoulders, increase waist to hip size difference, and maybe decrease the hardness of the jaw line. Other than those simple topology issues you are doing very well! Extremely better than my first time.