I can´t find the Geometry nodes object info node in blender 4.1.0, is it replaced with another node?

I can´t find the object info node in blender 4.1.0 Alpha and it´s geometry nodes, is it replaced with another node?

As the title says, I was looking for it by searching the nodes, object info results in nothing,and skimming through the nodes manually …doesn´t seem to be there either.

Should I suspect this one has been merged with some other node type?

It has not changed.

It’s in Add- input - scene - object info (or just hit add and type o, it should be the first choice

He…I just found it before I noticed your post, but it´skind of weird it can´t be found when searched for, in blender 3.4 it is recognized by the search panel.

Yea they got rid of the search panel, now you just hit Add and type.

well, the search is ctrl f, and when I do a search with “o” or "object info, it can´not find it, unless I go to scene and add object info, then ctrl f and search, then it can see it.

Edit…yes, doing it the way you suggest is finding it, but not with ctrl f, so the search code here seem different.

As for removing it, maybe not such a good idea, it just cleans up a bit of the menu, but for newcomers, newbies, it will be much harder to search for things, ergo…the devs seem to make it easier to use for medium, to advanced blender users, but more difficult for the others.

Right click in any empty spot in geometry editor works as well and click on find, as for getting a search menu, but same there, it can not locate the object info node, only the way of going to add, and start typing will do that.

Drag an object in from the outliner, it will create one for you.

Ctrl f just searches for the nodes that are present in the setup. Yes they have changed how search works. You can use shift A to invoke the add menu and type o (no need to hit search).

I was of that opinion but I got used to it quickly, now when I use older versions I find it frustrating to have to hit the search menu all the time to search, “just type” is a lot faster.

Interesting, but not the way to go initially, maybe when you are comfortable and know about all the rest, but…the thing is I wanted to add object info to locate another object outside of the original geometry node mesh.

But of course…once dragged from the outliner to the geometry editor, you switch object to the one you want, even if it is outside the main mesh.

It is slick though to simply drag an object, not sure though if you could by shortcut use grab an object outside the main object and automaticly link select it.

Edit, bonkers, now it did work just like that, not sure why it didn´t the first time.

1 Like

Well that is because you know of it, this you will have issues with from many newbies not finding it further on.

The function is hidden rather than exposed for simplicity based on the users lack of experience or more experienced user, so while I as well will get used to it, that isn´t the point for new users that cant find it.

It just raises unecessary questions when it´s not needed, as I have been posting many posts now about it…when we shouldn´t have to :grin:

True, there was talk about leaving a tip “type to search” but it does not seem to have come through.

Quicker than search, I like speed, why not just drag in the object you do want to reference?

I responded on that in previous post.

This is great for us that know how to, for newbies and others medium users not acustomed to it, it has no purpose until you know about it, the search function is important, and if people go and try with ctrl f, or right click and search, they will not find the tools.

I am not against the other speedier way, but breaking search functions for the other ways are not good for those who do not know.

So it is more about any future questions from newbies and alikes than what my workflow will be.

But…anyway, enough of complaints now, I got it, and thanks for the tip of dragging it from the outliner to the editor, it´s nice anyway.

Now I am off to spreading the tips (on my internenal mail list) to some Lightwave users, cause they are probably proned to get a bit confused as well.

Because I was selecting standing foremost on the object I wanted to add, not the geometry node object, and then click HOLD the other objects and drag it on Geometry editor.
My bad, the tounge was not right in my mouth. :grin:

Here´s exactly what I was talking about regarding the change in the search functions…

[

@TommyLikeTom](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8cusNnVJClMTwy5kIUSMQ)

för 3 månader sedan

For whatever reason the node search function is absent from my experimental build. Highly annoying

I keep pressing “s” to search, because of muscle memory, and then I have to edit the field all the time, it’s annoying :confused:

drag the object with the mesh icon from under the collections tab into your geometry node editor

you can do shift + A too…

1 Like

We have already solved that, it has been described previously, but thank you.

I know…I described that myself previously.